Hamilton, Rangers rock Red SoxApr 18, 2012 - 7:21 AM
Elvis Andrus added three RBI, Nelson Cruz launched a two-run blast and Michael Young added a solo blast for the Rangers, who have won five in a row and are off to their best start since going 10-1 in 1989.
Colby Lewis (2-0) worked seven innings, allowing eight hits and two runs while fanning seven. Texas backed the right-handed with a season-high 21 hits.
"It was one of those nights we swung the bats well," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "We played good defense, we ran the bases, we pitched and we did everything that we were supposed to do."
Dustin Pedroia posted a two-run homer and Adrian Gonzalez also went deep for the Red Sox, who have dropped two in a row since starting this nine-game homestand with three straight wins.
Jon Lester (0-2) didn't make it out of the third inning, charged in defeat with eight hits and seven runs with four walks.
"It was one of those nights where I just flat-out stunk," said Lester. "When I did make the adjustment and tried to get back in the zone it wasn't good enough."
Lester was yanked in the third after loading the bases with none out, but Scott Atchison gave up an RBI fielder's choice to Craig Gentry, an Andrus sacrifice fly and a run-scoring hit from Hamilton to make it 7-2.
Young's two-out solo shot in the sixth increased the Texas edge to six, then the visitors ripped the game open in an eight-run eighth.
Ian Kinsler started the frame with a double, Andrus walked, then Hamilton slammed a three-run shot to right. Adrian Beltre followed with a solo shot, then after David Murphy followed with a pinch-hit base on balls, Cruz cleared the wall in center to bring the margin to 14-2.
Pinch-hitter Alberto Gonzalez brought in a run with a groundout and Andrus doubled home Gentry to cap the burst.
Adrian Gonzalez answered with a solo homer in the home half, but Napoli hoisted a two-run blast in the ninth.
Things looked better early on for the Red Sox.
Lewis served up a leadoff single to Mike Aviles then Pedroia cranked one over the Green Monster for a 2-0 game, but Cruz hit a one-out double in the second and scored when Napoli cleared the wall in left.
Later in the frame, after two walks and a single loaded the bases, Andrus' dribbler to the mound scored one and Hamilton followed with an RBI fielder's choice.
For the Rangers, Tuesday marked their highest single-game home-run total since going deep six times against Detroit in August of 2008...Texas won six of 10 meetings from Boston a year ago, and has taken three of the last four matchups at Fenway...The two-time defending AL champions racked up the most runs in one regular-season game since a 19-6 victory against Baltimore on April 15, 2009...Red Sox reliever Mark Melancon faced six batters in the eighth inning and failed to record an out, spiking his ERA to 49.50...Napoli recorded his first multi-homer outing since accomplishing the feat in two straight games on September 27-28 on the road against the Angels.
- TEXAS: 18
Apr 17 10:40 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (3) to right scored David Murphy. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 18, Red Sox 3 Top 9, 1 OutApr 17 10:25 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. David Ortiz due up.
Rangers 16, Red Sox 3 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 17 10:14 PM
- Brandon Snyder is pinch-hitting for Josh Hamilton.
Rangers 16, Red Sox 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 17 10:05 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Alberto Gonzalez grounded out third to first scored Mike Napoli. On the play, Craig Gentry advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 15, Red Sox 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 17 10:01 PM
- Nelson Cruz none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored David Murphy. Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 14, Red Sox 2 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 17 9:51 PM
- Adrian Beltre none-out Home Run (2) to center. Michael Young due up.
Rangers 12, Red Sox 2 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 17 9:45 PM
- Josh Hamilton none-out, three-run Home Run (5) to right scored Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 11, Red Sox 2 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 17 9:44 PM
- Michael Young two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 8, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 17 9:12 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to right scored Craig Gentry. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 7, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 17 8:30 PM
- Elvis Andrus sacrifice fly out to right scored Yorvit Torrealba. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 17 8:29 PM
- Craig Gentry grounded into a fielder's choice to third scored Nelson Cruz. On the play, Yorvit Torrealba advances to second and Mike Napoli out at third. Runners on first and second with one out and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 5, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 17 8:25 PM
- Josh Hamilton grounded into a fielder's choice, left to third scored Craig Gentry. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to second and Ian Kinsler out at third. Runners on first and second with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 4, Red Sox 2 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 17 7:54 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to pitcher scored Yorvit Torrealba. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to second and Craig Gentry advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 2 Top 2, 1 OutApr 17 7:51 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Nelson Cruz. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 2, Red Sox 2 Top 2, 1 OutApr 17 7:41 PM
- Dustin Pedroia none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Mike Aviles. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rangers 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 17 7:26 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 7:15 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21