Ross homers twice as Boston beats MinnesotaApr 24, 2012 - 4:57 AM
Ross hit a two-run home run in the seventh inning and added a go-ahead solo blast in the ninth while Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a two-run shot in the second for the Red Sox, who snapped a five-game losing streak.
Jon Lester went seven innings in the start for Boston and gave up five runs on six hits with four walks and four strikeouts. Daniel Bard (1-2) got the win for getting the final two outs of the eighth.
"You need all wins, but this is another good team builder," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said.
Danny Valencia hit a two-run home run and Ryan Doumit added a two-run double for the Twins, who have dropped their past three.
Jason Marquis was tagged for five runs on 11 hits with three strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings. Matt Capps (0-1) suffered the loss for serving up the homer in the ninth.
Capps got the first two outs of the ninth, but Ross got hold of an 0-1 fastball and ripped it over the right-field wall.
"I don't think I've ever seen Cody Ross hit a ball that way," Capps said. "But he put a good swing on it, squared it up well and won the ballgame for them."
Alfredo Aceves then worked around a one-out single in the ninth to pick up his third save of the year.
Boston got on the board in the first inning thanks to a sacrifice fly from Adrian Gonzalez and increased its lead to 3-0 in the second on a two-run homer from Saltalamacchia.
Minnesota, though, put up four runs in the fourth to take the lead. With one out, Joe Mauer singled and Josh Willingham followed with a walk. After Justin Morneau struck out, Doumit hit a double to chase home both runners and Valencia followed with a shot over the wall in left-center for a 4-3 lead.
A run-scoring double-play from Jamey Carroll scored Trevor Plouffe in the fifth to give the Twins a 5-3 lead.
Boston answered in the seventh to tie the game as Saltalamacchia hit a one-out single and Ross followed with a blast over the left-field wall for his fourth homer of the season.
Boston took five of seven from Minnesota last season...Ross has 13 RBI on the season...Josh Beckett pitches for Boston on Tuesday, while Nick Blackburn takes the mound for Minnesota.
- BOSTON: 6
Apr 23 11:24 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, solo Home Run 2 (5) to right. Marlon Byrd due up.
Red Sox 6, Twins 5 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 23 11:08 PM
- Marlon Byrd singled to left. Runner on first with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 5, Twins 5 Top 7, 1 OutApr 23 10:20 PM
- Joe Mauer walked. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 23 9:58 PM
- Danny Valencia two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Ryan Doumit. Chris Parmelee due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 23 9:34 PM
- Ryan Doumit double to left scored Joe Mauer and Josh Willingham with two outs. Doumit advances to third on the throw. Runner on third and Danny Valencia due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 23 9:32 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Kevin Youkilis. Cody Ross due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 23 8:43 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left scored Mike Aviles with two outs. Runner on first and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 23 8:19 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 8:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21