Red Sox rip TwinsApr 25, 2012 - 6:04 AM
Aviles knocked in two runs and scored three times while Adrian Gonzalez finished 3-for-3 with a pair of RBI for the Red Sox, who had lost five straight before taking the first two games of this series. They will look for the sweep in Wednesday's finale.
Josh Beckett (2-2) earned the win, allowing two runs on five hits and three walks while striking out five over six innings.
"It was about the offense today," said Beckett. "They were on their game."
Josh Willingham had two doubles and an RBI for the Twins, who dropped their fourth straight game and fell to 5-13 on the season.
Nick Blackburn (0-2) was charged with five runs on eight hits over three innings in the loss. Reliever Matt Maloney also gave up five runs on eight hits while recording just five outs.
Boston set the tone with a three-run first inning. Aviles led off with a double and scored on Ryan Sweeney's single up the middle. With one down, Gonzalez placed runners at the corners with a base hit and Ortiz followed with an RBI single. A Kevin Youkilis single loaded the bases and Cody Ross pushed a run across with a groundout before Marlon Byrd was retired to end the inning.
In the bottom half, Jamey Carroll reached on a fielder's choice groundout and scored when Beckett issued three consecutive walks. The veteran righty prevented further damage by striking out Ryan Doumit and grounding out Danny Valencia.
"We had a good first inning but it didn't carry over after that," said Twins designated hitter Justin Morneau.
Ortiz followed Gonzalez's leadoff walk with a deep homer to right-center in the third and Aviles greeted Maloney with a solo shot in the fourth. Later in the inning, Gonzalez singled home Sweeney for a 7-1 lead.
The hits kept coming for the Red Sox, who pushed three runs across in the fifth courtesy of RBI doubles by Aviles, Dustin Pedroia and Gonzalez.
Willingham's two-bagger plated Carroll in the home half, making it 10-2, but the Twins failed to score again and Darnell McDonald sealed the final result with a bases-loaded RBI groundout in the eighth.
Ortiz has reached base safely in 15 of 16 games this season and has multiple hits in seven of his last 10 games...Blackburn hasn't recorded a win since July 8, 2011 at the White Sox. Since that win, he has gone 0-6 with five no- decisions in 11 starts.
- BOSTON: 11
Apr 24 11:14 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Darnell McDonald grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second, scored Lars Anderson. Nick Punto out at second. David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Red Sox 11, Twins 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 24 10:49 PM
- Josh Willingham doubled to left scored Jamey Carroll. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Morneau due up.
Red Sox 10, Twins 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 24 10:10 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to left scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 10, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 24 9:54 PM
- Dustin Pedroia doubled to center scored Mike Aviles. Runner on second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 9, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 24 9:54 PM
- Mike Aviles doubled to left scored Marlon Byrd. Runner on second with one out and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Red Sox 8, Twins 1 Top 5, 1 OutApr 24 9:51 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to right scored Ryan Sweeney. Runner on first with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 24 9:34 PM
- Mike Aviles lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Ryan Sweeney due up.
Red Sox 6, Twins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 24 9:31 PM
- David Ortiz none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Adrian Gonzalez. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 5, Twins 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 24 9:10 PM
- Justin Morneau walk scored Jamey Carroll on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Ryan Doumit due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 24 8:44 PM
- Cody Ross grounded out to first scored Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to second and David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 24 8:24 PM
- David Ortiz singled to left scored Dustin Pedroia. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 24 8:18 PM
- Ryan Sweeney singled to center scored Mike Aviles. Runner on first with none out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 24 8:13 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 8:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21