Red Sox hold on to sweep TwinsApr 26, 2012 - 5:13 AM
Jarrod Saltalamacchia added a two-run double, Adrian Gonzalez and Cody Ross each had an RBI and Dustin Pedroia finished 3-for-4 with two runs scored for the Red Sox.
Clay Buchholz (2-1) gave up five runs on 10 hits and three walks over 5 1/3 innings and the Boston bullpen held it together the rest of the way to secure the win. Alfredo Aceves survived a bases-loaded jam in the ninth to collect his fourth save of the season.
"I feel like I threw my curveball really well tonight and that's the big one," said Buchholz. "I was able to put it right where I wanted it to go. That's been my really good pitch for me so far this year."
Joe Mauer went 2-for-5 with a two-run double and a run scored, while Denard Span, Alexi Casilla, Trevor Plouffe and Justin Morneau had an RBI apiece for the Twins, who have lost five straight and six of their last seven.
"We need to get some runs early and try to take some pressure off the pitching staff," said Morneau. "We haven't done that, but there's no finger-pointing or blaming going on. In this clubhouse it's win together, lose together."
Minnesota received a scare in the sixth inning when infielder Chris Parmelee was hit in the bill of the helmet by a fastball from Justin Thomas.
Parmelee fell to the ground and lay motionless for a few seconds before coming to and sitting up at home plate. He spoke with the team trainer and Twins manager Ron Gardenhire before getting to his feet and leaving the field under his own power. He was replaced on the base paths by Danny Valencia.
Liam Hendriks (0-1) was shelled for seven runs on nine hits and two walks, while fanning three in just four-plus innings.
Boston opened the scoring with four runs in the second inning. David Ortiz worked a walk to lead off the frame and Kevin Youkilis stroked a single to put two runners on base. After Saltalamacchia struck out, Ross singled to center to bring in Ortiz for the first run of the inning. Marlon Byrd lined out to center for the second out, and Aviles followed with a three-run homer to deep left field to make it 4-0 for Boston.
Minnesota got on the board in the home second when Ben Revere ripped a one-out double to center field and came around to score on a single to left by Casilla to pull the Twins within three.
The Red Sox extended their lead to 6-1 with two runs in the third. Pedroia reached on an infield single and Gonzalez walked before Saltalamacchia knocked in both runners with a line drive single into right field.
The BoSox added another run in the fifth on an RBI single by Gonzalez to make it 7-1, but the Twins got back in the game with five runs in the sixth.
Sean Burroughs struck out to begin the inning for Minnesota, but then the Twins' bats woke up. Revere reached on a bunt single and Casilla hit one up the middle to put two runners on. Span followed with a double to bring home Revere and Jamey Carroll walked to load the bags with one out.
Scott Atchison was summoned from the Red Sox bullpen and promptly gave up a two-run single to Mauer to make it 7-4. Thomas was then called into the game, but he didn't fare much better, giving up an RBI double to Morneau to cut it to 7-5. Plouffe then singled home Mauer off Matt Albers to make it a one-run contest.
The Twins put together one last rally against Aceves in the ninth. Aceves got off to a good start in the frame by fanning Danny Valencia, but Plouffe walked, pinch-hitter Ryan Doumit singled to right and Casilla was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Aceves then struck out Span on a 1-2 changeup to end the game.
Aviles, has started the Sox last 10 games in the leadoff spot and has hit .380 (16-for-42) in those contests...Boston improved to 4-5 on road this season...Revere was called up from Triple-A Rochester on Wednesday to replace Josh Willingham, who was placed on the paternity list...Minnesota went 5- for-16 with runners in scoring position and stranded 13 runners...The Twins begin a three-game set in Kansas City on Friday, while the Red Sox will start a four-game set with the White Sox on Thursday.
- BOSTON: 7
Apr 25 11:44 PM
- Trevor Plouffe singled to center scored Joe Mauer. On the play, Danny Valencia advances to second and Justin Morneau advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Sean Burroughs due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 25 10:42 PM
- Justin Morneau doubled to center scored Jamey Carroll. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Chris Parmelee due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 5 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 25 10:35 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to left scored Alexi Casilla and Denard Span. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 25 10:31 PM
- Denard Span doubled to right scored Ben Revere. On the play, Alexi Casilla advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jamey Carroll due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 25 10:23 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to left scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on first with none out and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 1 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 25 9:53 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia singled to right scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamachia out at second, right to first to short to end the inning.
Red Sox 6, Twins 1 Mid 3Apr 25 9:16 PM
- Alexi Casilla singled to left scored Ben Revere. Runner on first with one out and Denard Span due up.
Red Sox 4, Twins 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 25 8:59 PM
- Mike Aviles two-out, three-run Home Run (4) to left scored Kevin Youkilis and Cody Ross. Ryan Sweeney due up.
Red Sox 4, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 25 8:51 PM
- Cody Ross singled to center scored David Ortiz. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Marlon Byrd due up.
Red Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 25 8:48 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 25 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21