Ortiz, Red Sox pound A'sMay 1, 2012 - 6:05 AM
Aviles finished with four RBI and Darnell McDonald went 3-for-4 with a double and a two-run homer for Boston, which was coming off a 6-1 road trip.
"Hitting is contagious," said McDonald. "I've been watching these guys tear the cover off the ball for the last couple of weeks and it feels good to come in and contribute."
Clay Buchholz (3-1) earned the win, allowing six runs on seven hits and five walks while striking out five over 6 2/3 innings.
Josh Reddick had a three-run homer for the Athletics, losers of three straight. Tommy Milone (3-2) was charged with eight runs -- seven earned -- on eight hits in 4 2/3 innings.
Oakland struck first, taking a 1-0 lead on Cliff Pennington's RBI single in the second, but the Red Sox scored the game's next 11 runs to pull away.
Ortiz began off the bottom of the second with a shot to right. It was 4-1 by the end of the inning courtesy of RBI singles from Marlon Byrd and Aviles and an error by A's second baseman Jemile Weeks, which allowed Aviles to cross the plate.
In the third, McDonald followed Ortiz's leadoff walk with a one-out homer to deep left-center, and Boston pushed five across in the fifth to make it 11-1.
Again Ortiz was the catalyst, sending a one-out shot to right, which bounced off the glove of Reddick before clearing the wall along with the right fielder.
Later in the frame, McDonald chased Milone with a two-out single before scoring on Byrd's double to center. After a Nick Punto walk, Aviles lifted a homer to left.
The A's cut their deficit to 11-6 in the seventh on Coco Crisp's two-out, two- run single and Reddick's subsequent blast to right, but Daric Barton struck out with the bases loaded later in the inning to end the threat.
Oakland loaded the bases again in the eighth, but Reddick grounded into an inning-ending double play.
"I felt like we were getting back in that game, we had momentum on our side," said Reddick. "We quickly turned it around, it just wasn't enough."
Buchholz has received at least seven runs of support in four of his five starts this season...Earlier Monday, Oakland officially agreed to terms with veteran third baseman Brandon Inge. The 34-year-old had played all 12 of his major league seasons with the Tigers, but was released last week. He went 1- for-3 against Boston on Monday.
- OAKLAND: 6
Apr 30 10:35 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, three-run Home Run (4) to right scored Jemile Weeks and Coco Crisp. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 6, Red Sox 11 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 30 9:30 PM
- Coco Crisp singled off first to second scoring Anthony Recker and Cliff Pennington. On the play, Jemile Weeks advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 3, Red Sox 11 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 30 9:28 PM
- Mike Aviles two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored Marlon Byrd and Nick Punto. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 11 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 30 8:59 PM
- Marlon Byrd doubled to left center scoring Darnell McDonald. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Punto due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 30 8:54 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, solo Home Run 2 (6) to right center. Kelly Shoppach due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 7 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 30 8:47 PM
- Darnell McDonald one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left center scored David Ortiz. Marlon Byrd due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 6 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 30 8:16 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez reached second on Jemile Weeks' throwing error scoring Mike Aviles. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 30 8:03 PM
- Mike Aviles singled to left scoring Marlon Byrd. Runner on first with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 30 7:57 PM
- Marlon Byrd singled off second to right scoring Darnell McDonald. Runner on first with one out and Nick Punto due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 30 7:53 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Kelly Shoppach due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 30 7:45 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21