Parker gets first win, A's hold off Red SoxMay 2, 2012 - 6:11 AM
Parker (1-0), making his third career start, allowed one run on four hits and two walks while striking out four over 6 2/3 frames.
Weeks scored a pair of runs, while Yoenis Cespedes and Cliff Pennington added an RBI apiece for Oakland, which halted a three-game slide.
"Every win is big," said Pennington. "Getting a win on the road against a quality team is always nice."
Mike Aviles hit a one-out, two-run single in the ninth inning but Jordan Norberto retired the final two batters to earn his first career save.
David Ortiz added an RBI for Boston, which had won seven of its last eight games, including the opener of this three-game series on Monday.
Felix Doubront (1-1) lasted just four innings in the loss, allowing five runs on six hits while recording a career-high eight strikeouts.
Weeks began the game with a single, advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored on Cespedes' base hit up the middle.
In the fourth, Kurt Suzuki singled and Kila Ka'aihue walked before Pennington belted a two-out double to center. Suzuki scored on the two-bagger and Weeks followed with a single to plate a pair. Weeks stole third then came home on Doubront's wild pitch for a 5-0 lead.
Dustin Pedroia led off the bottom half with a single, moved to second on a wild pitch and eventually crossed the plate on consecutive groundouts, but the Red Sox failed to score again until the ninth.
There, Cody Ross led off with a double against Grant Balfour and a Marlon Byrd single and a walk to Nick Punto loaded the bases with one out. Aviles then plated two with a single up the middle but Norberto struck out Lars Anderson and retired Pedroia on a fielder's choice to end the game.
"I think it shows a lot about the team that we came back and tried to give it a little fight," said Aviles.
Parker was recalled from Triple-A Sacramento last Wednesday. His teams have won all three of his starting assignments...Doubront has recorded 30 strikeouts in 26 innings this season.
- OAKLAND: 5
May 1 10:44 PM
- Jordan Norberto enter the game for the A's with runners on first and second and one out.
Athletics 5, Red Sox 3 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 1 10:37 PM
- David Ortiz ground out second to first scored Dustin Pedroia. None on with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Athletics 5, Red Sox 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 1 8:38 PM
- Felix Doubront's wild pitch scored Jemile Weeks. None on with two outs and Brandon Inge at the plate.
Athletics 5, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 1 8:30 PM
- Jemile Weeks single to center scored Kila Ka`aihue and Cliff Pennington. On the play, Jemile Weeks advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Brandon Inge due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 1 8:28 PM
- Cliff Pennington double to center scored Kurt Suzuki. On the play, Kila Ka`aihue advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Jemile Weeks due up.
Athletics 2, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 1 8:26 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to center scored Jemile Weeks. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 1 7:20 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 1 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21