Smith drives in two, A's take series from BoSoxMay 3, 2012 - 7:33 AM
McCarthy (2-3) was steady if not spectacular at times, surrendering just one run on five hits with four strikeouts and three walks for his second straight win. Brian Fuentes nailed down his first save of the season in place of Grant Balfour for the A's, winners of two straight.
"I felt like I was able to throw a lot of strikes and my command was solid," McCarthy said.
Daniel Bard (2-3) took the loss, giving up four runs on eight hits with two walks and one strikeout over 5 1/3 innings. Dustin Pedroia and Marlon Byrd drove in runs for the Red Sox, who have dropped three of four.
"I had a hard time putting guys away, especially early in the game," Bard said.
After three scoreless frames, the A's struck first off Bard in the fourth. Yoenis Cespedes doubled over Byrd in center and scored when Smith's grounder found the grass in right field. The A's had men on the corners when Brandon Inge grounded out to end the frame.
Bard started getting pitches up in the zone during the sixth, and the A's made him pay with a crooked number. Josh Reddick singled to left, and with one out, Smith launched a high and outside pitch over Cody Ross' glove in left for a run-scoring double. Kila Ka'aihue followed with a line-drive double into the pesky right-field corner that scored Smith.
Kurt Suzuki was plunked by a pitch and Inge followed with a double that plated Ka'aihue for a 4-0 lead. Matt Albers cut down the A's without further damage by retiring two straight batters with runners at second and third.
Boston finally got to McCarthy in the seventh and had an opportunity for a lot more. Jarrod Saltalamacchia singled and Will Middlebrooks stroked a two-bagger down the line in right. Byrd drove home the run with a sacrifice fly to left, and after Mike Aviles popped out, McCarthy walked Ryan Sweeney on a borderline pitch to end his night. New hurler Ryan Cook promptly walked Pedroia and fell behind Adrian Gonzalez before coming back to record a big strikeout.
Pedroia doubled home Aviles in the ninth and brought the tying run to the plate in Gonzalez, but the Red Sox slugger grounded out to third to end the game.
Boston dropped to 4-7 at Fenway Park this season...The Red Sox haven't been in last place this late in a season since 1996...Bard had allowed just one run in 14 career innings versus the A's before Wednesday...McCarthy improved to 2-3 lifetime versus the Red Sox...Middlebrooks finished 2-for-3 in his big-league debut.
- OAKLAND: 4
May 2 10:33 PM
- Dustin Pedroia doubled to center scored Mike Aviles. Runner on second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 2 10:30 PM
- Marlon Byrd sacrifice fly out to left scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Runner on second with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 1 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 2 9:38 PM
- Brandon Inge doubled to left scored Kila Ka`aihue. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 2 9:00 PM
- Kila Ka'aihue doubled to right scored Seth Smith. Runner on second with one out and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 3, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 2 8:52 PM
- Seth Smith doubled to left scored Josh Reddick. Runner on second with one out and Kila Ka`aihue due up.
Athletics 2, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 2 8:50 PM
- Kurt Suzuki singled to center. On the play, Seth Smith advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brandon Inge due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 2 8:10 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21