Brantley, Tribe pound reeling Red SoxMay 11, 2012 - 4:41 AM
Jack Hannahan hit a two-run homer and Jason Kipnis hit a solo home run for the Indians, who had dropped their previous two after winning three straight. Derek Lowe (5-1) gave up two runs on nine hits over six innings to win his third straight decision.
Dustin Pedroia hit a solo home run while Daniel Nava and Mike Aviles each drove in a run for the Red Sox, who have lost three straight and eight of their last nine.
Josh Beckett (2-4), who was under heat for playing golf last week after missing a start with soreness in his right side, didn't make it out of the third inning as he was tagged for seven runs on seven hits for his second straight loss.
"We get 18 off days a year and I think we deserve a little bit of time to ourselves," said Beckett.
Cleveland pushed three runs across in the second as a sacrifice fly from Casey Kotchman was followed by a two-run homer from Hannahan, but the Red Sox got one back in the bottom of the frame on an RBI single from Aviles.
The Indians, though, scored four more times in the third. Kipnis led off with his sixth homer of the season. With two on, Shin-Soo Choo belted a double to score one and Brantley followed with a two-bagger to score two for a 7-1 lead.
Boston got one back in the fifth as back-to-back singles from Adrian Gonzalez and Will Middlebrooks were followed by a run-scoring double courtesy of Nava to make it a 7-2 game.
Pedroia's leadoff shot in the seventh made it a four-run game, but Carlos Santana got it back in the ninth with a sacrifice fly.
Nick Hagadone set the Red Sox down in order in the ninth to close out the win.
Cleveland took six of 10 from Boston last season...Boston has lost six straight at Fenway for the first time since April 6-19, 2010...Beckett fell to 4-6 in his career against the Indians...Clay Buchholz pitches for Boston on Friday while Ubaldo Jimenez will toe the mound for Cleveland.
- CLEVELAND: 8
May 10 10:22 PM
- Carlos Santana sacrifice fly to left scored Jason Kipnis with two out. Runner on second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 8, Red Sox 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 10 10:11 PM
- Dustin Pedroia lead-off Home Run (5) to right. David Ortiz due up.
Indians 7, Red Sox 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 10 9:17 PM
- Daniel Nava double to right scored Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Will Middlebrooks advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 7, Red Sox 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 10 8:49 PM
- Andrew Miller enters the game for the Red Sox with a runner on second and one out.
Indians 7, Red Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 10 8:02 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo double to center scored Asdrubal Cabrera. On the play, Travis Hafner advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 5, Red Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 10 7:57 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 4, Red Sox 1 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 10 7:49 PM
- Mike Aviles single to center scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on first with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Indians 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 10 7:43 PM
- Johnny Damon grounded out to first to end the inning.
Indians 3, Red Sox 0 Mid 2May 10 7:35 PM
- Casey Kotchman sacrifice fly to right scored Shin-Soo Choo. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jack Hannahan due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 10 7:32 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 7:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21