Red Sox get past TribeMay 12, 2012 - 7:15 AM
Will Middlebrooks drove in two while Ryan Sweeney went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for the Red Sox, who had lost their previous three games.
Clay Buchholz (4-1) went 6 1/3 innings and gave up three earned runs on eight hits with three walks and three strikeouts to grab the win.
"Today we were able to get a win and get things going in the direction that everyone here obviously wants to get going," Red Sox left fielder Daniel Nava said.
Carlos Santana and Michael Brantley each drove in two runs for the Indians, who have dropped three of their past four games. Ubaldo Jimenez (3-3) was torched for seven runs on nine hits over 4 1/3 innings to take the loss.
"I didn't give the team a chance to stay close in the game," said Jimenez. "We scored five runs at the end. If I would've done a better job, we probably would've won the game."
Cleveland scored in the first inning on an RBI single from Santana, but Boston answered in the bottom portion.
Pedroia singled and David Ortiz walked before Adrian Gonzalez was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Middlebrooks then launched a double to left to plate two for a 2-1 lead.
The Red Sox scored two more in the second on a two-run double from Pedroia for a 4-1 advantage.
Cleveland had men on second and third in the third inning, but it was with two outs and Brantley flied out to end the frame.
The fifth inning saw Boston pad its lead. Nava worked a leadoff walk and Cody Ross scored him with a double. Three batters later, Sweeney singled home Ross and Dan Wheeler took the mound. Pedroia followed with a sac fly for a 7-1 advantage.
Cleveland cut into its deficit in the seventh. After Buchholz loaded the bases with one out, Rich Hill took the mound and walked Travis Hafner to score one. Santana then hit a grounder to third that Middlebrooks misplayed, allowing Jason Kipnis to score. Brantley later added an RBI single off of Andrew Miller to make it a 7-4 game.
Brantley drove in Santana with a single in the ninth and Casey Kotchman followed with a single to put runners at the corners with one out, but Alfredo Aceves got the next two batters out for his sixth save of the season.
Ortiz had a minor auto accident on his way to the game today. A police spokesman said there were no injuries and only minor vehicle damage. He finished the game 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored...Game time was 3:57...Boston left 13 men on base while Cleveland left 14.
- CLEVELAND: 5
May 11 11:08 PM
- Michael Brantley single to center scored Carlos Santana. Runner on first with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 5, Red Sox 7 Top 9, 1 OutMay 11 10:57 PM
- Michael Brantley single to center scored Asdrubal Cabrera. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second and Travis Hafner advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 4, Red Sox 7 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 11 10:00 PM
- Carlos Santana reached first on Will Middlebrooks's fielding error scoring Jason Kipnis. On the play, Travis Hafner advances to second and Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 3, Red Sox 7 Top 7, 1 OutMay 11 9:54 PM
- Travis Hafner walk scored Johnny Damon. Bases loaded with one out and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 2, Red Sox 7 Top 7, 1 OutMay 11 9:51 PM
- Dustin Pedroia sacrifice fly to center scored Nick Punto. Runner on first with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 11 9:06 PM
- Dan Wheeler enters the game for the Indians with runners on first and third and one out.
Indians 1, Red Sox 6 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 11 9:03 PM
- Cody Ross double to left scored Daniel Nava. Runner on second with none out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 11 8:56 PM
- Dustin Pedroia double to right scored Nick Punto and Ryan Sweeney. Runner on second with none out and David Ortiz due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 11 7:59 PM
- Will Middlebrooks double to left scored Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Daniel Nava due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 11 7:34 PM
- Carlos Santana single to right scored Asdrubal Cabrera. On the play, Travis Hafner advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 11 7:19 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 11 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21