Red Sox down IndiansMay 13, 2012 - 4:52 AM
Doubront (3-1) gave up just one run on three hits with two walks and five strikeouts for the Red Sox, who have won their past two. Cody Ross clubbed a solo home run, Mike Aviles added an RBI and a run scored and David Ortiz drove in the other run.
"I thought, once again, Felix Doubront was terrific," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said. "He did what he had to do to get us in a winning position."
Jason Kipnis drove in the lone run for the Indians, who have lost four of their last five games. Zach McAllister (1-1) was charged with four runs on eight hits with eight strikeouts over seven innings to take the loss.
The Red Sox took a 2-0 lead in the third inning. Aviles led off the frame with a single and later scored when Pedroia blasted a double high off the Green Monster. Ortiz followed with a double to score Pedroia.
Boston added to its lead in the fourth. Daniel Nava led off with a single and moved to third on a ground-rule double from Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Aviles followed with a sacrifice fly for a 3-0 lead.
The Indians finally got to Doubront in the sixth inning. Lou Marson doubled to start the inning and moved to third on a Michael Brantley groundout. Kipnis then hit a grounder to first and reached base safely as no one was there to cover the bag, scoring Marson to make it a 3-1 game.
Ross got the run back in the sixth, though, as he blasted a solo shot clear out of the stadium to left field for a 4-1 advantage.
Andrew Miller set the Indians down in order in the seventh while Vicente Padilla did the same in the eighth.
Alfredo Aceves needed just 10 pitches in the ninth for his seventh saves as the Indians went quietly.
Pedroia has a 13-game hitting streak, the longest active streak in the majors. He is batting 20-for-56 during the run with two homers and 11 RBI...McAllister made the start in place of Josh Tomlin, who was scratched from the lineup earlier in the day with a sore right wrist and placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 8.
- CLEVELAND: 1
May 12 9:40 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 12 9:03 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera popped out to second. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 12 8:51 PM
- Mike Aviles sacrifice fly to left scored Daniel Nava with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Indians 0, Red Sox 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 12 8:19 PM
- David Ortiz double to center scored Dustin Pedroia with one out. Runner on second and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Indians 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 12 8:03 PM
- Dustin Pedroia double to left center scored Mike Aviles with one out. Runner on second and David Ortiz due up.
Indians 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 12 8:01 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 7:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21