Ross, Red Sox take down RaysMay 18, 2012 - 5:57 AM
Felix Doubront (4-1) earned the win, allowing two runs -- one earned -- on six hits over 5 2/3 innings. He struck out seven and walked four. Alfredo Aceves recorded the game's final four outs to pick up his eighth save of the season.
Marlon Byrd also had a homer for Boston, which had won five straight before falling in the opener of this brief series on Wednesday.
Matt Moore (1-4) gave up three runs over six innings in the loss. B.J. Upton went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI for Tampa Bay, which saw its four-game win streak come to an end.
"I thought he finished really strong. That's a good game to build off of," Rays manager Joe Maddon said of Moore, adding, "He definitely pitched well enough to win."
The Red Sox took a 1-0 lead in the first with help from Moore, who allowed singles to Mike Aviles and David Ortiz. He then hit Adrian Gonzalez to load the bases and issued two-out walk to Ross to push across a run.
Byrd led off the second inning with his first homer of the season and Ross' two-out blast in the third made it 3-0.
With two down in the bottom half, Upton reached on catcher's interference by Kelly Shoppach, moved to second when Luke Scott was hit by a pitch and scored on Jeff Keppinger's line drive single to left.
The Rays made it 3-2 in the fourth when Sean Rodriguez hit a leadoff single, advanced to second on a groundout and crossed the plate on Rich Thompson's two-out single. A pair of walks followed, loading the bases, but Scott lined out to Gonzalez at first base to end the inning.
Scott failed to deliver again in the sixth. Ben Zobrist singled with two down and advanced to third on Upton's double, which chased Doubront. But Rich Hill induced Scott into an inning-ending fly out to left field.
"He got a little out of sorts, but he's a good pitcher. After all that nonsense, to only give up two runs: that's a good job," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said of his starter.
Dustin Pedroia began the eighth with a base hit and Ortiz followed with a walk. Will Middlebrooks advanced the runners with a groundout and they scored when Ross squibbed a grounder up the middle.
Upton hit an RBI single in the home half to make it 5-3, but Aceves grounded out Scott with runners at second and third to end the inning.
Interleague play begins for both teams on Friday. The Red Sox travel to Philadelphia for a three-game series with the Phillies while the Rays will host the Atlanta Braves for three games.
- BOSTON: 5
TAMPA BAY: 3
May 17 10:28 PM
- B.J. Upton singled to center, scoring Matt Joyce with two outs. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second. Runners on first and second and Luke Scott due up.
Red Sox 5, Rays 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 17 10:12 PM
- Cody Ross singled to center, scoring Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz with two outs. Runner on first and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 5, Rays 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 17 9:54 PM
- Rich Thompson singled to center, scoring Sean Rodriguez with two outs. Runner on first and Ben Zobrist due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 17 8:37 PM
- Jeff Keppinger singled to left, scoring B.J. Upton with two outs. On the play, Luke Scott advances to second. Runners on first and second and Carlos Pena due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 17 8:17 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 17 8:05 PM
- Marlon Byrd lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Kelly Shoppach due up.
Red Sox 2, Rays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 17 7:39 PM
- Daniel Nava struck out swinging to end the inning.
Red Sox 1, Rays 0 Mid 1May 17 7:28 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21