Red Sox top Rays on Saltalamacchia's HR in 9thMay 27, 2012 - 4:39 AM
Tampa Bay closer Fernando Rodney (2-1) walked Daniel Nava to begin the ninth and pinch-hitter Nick Punto bunted him into scoring position before Saltalamacchia launched a home run to right-center field.
"I looked at (bench coach) Tim Bogar when the inning started and said, 'We haven't had a walk-off all year.' And he said, 'It's a great day for it,'" recalled Boston manager Bobby Valentine.
Rich Hill (1-0) was credited with the win.
It was the first blown save of the season for Rodney in 16 opportunities.
Through the first seven innings, Boston right-hander Josh Beckett and Tampa Bay southpaw David Price were locked in a pitchers' duel.
The Red Sox broke a scoreless tie in the sixth after putting their first two batters on base. Dustin Pedroia walked and David Ortiz slapped a single to center field before Kevin Youkilis lined out to short. Pedroia was then thrown out at home trying to score on a single by Adrian Gonzalez.
Boston got on the board when Rays second baseman Sean Rodriguez couldn't come up with a grounder up the middle by Will Middlebrooks.
The Rays moved ahead in the next inning. Beckett had given up one hit before B.J. Upton and Matt Joyce stroked back-to-back singles to start the seventh. Upton went to third on Joyce's ground ball to right and scored on Ben Zobrist's sacrifice fly to left. Luke Scott gave Tampa Bay the lead with a base hit to right.
Boston stranded runners on the corners in the home seventh.
The Red Sox have won five of their last seven games...Tampa Bay had its winning streak snapped at three games...Rodney fell one save shy of the club record for consecutive saves to begin a season, a mark shared by Rafael Soriano (2010) and Al Reyes (2007)...Price, who made his 99th career start, allowed eight hits, walked three and struck out five...Beckett scattered four hits and fanned five.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
May 26 10:16 PM
- Luke Scott singled to right scored Matt Joyce. Runner on first with one out and Drew Sutton due up.
Rays 2, Red Sox 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 26 9:12 PM
- Ben Zobrist sacrifice fly to left scored B.J. Upton. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 1, Red Sox 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 26 9:10 PM
- Will Middlebrooks singled to center scored David Ortiz. On the play, Pinch-Runner Che-Hsuan Lin advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Daniel Nava due up.
Rays 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 26 9:05 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 26 7:16 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21