Red Sox use power swings to beat TigersMay 31, 2012 - 5:56 AM
Kevin Youkilis added a solo shot with two runs scored, while Adrian Gonzalez doubled twice, drove in a run and scored once for the Red Sox, who have won three in a row and eight of their last 11.
Matt Albers (1-0) recorded the final out of the seventh for the win. Alfredo Aceves turned in a scoreless ninth for his 13th save.
"Aceves is like our pitching [Dustin] Pedroia," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said. "You just wind him up. He was throwing harder tonight than he has in any of the other four days."
Miguel Cabrera finished 4-for-5 with three doubles and drove in a run for the Tigers, who have lost six of nine. Delmon Young and Prince Fielder added RBI in defeat.
Octavio Dotel (1-2), who retired two batters in the seventh, was charged with the deciding run.
"Dotel struck out the first two, then you had a walk and then they got a big hit," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "You have to give them credit."
Cabrera doubled home Gerald Laird in the top of the seventh to tie the game, 4-4, but Boston came back in the home half.
Daniel Nava walked with two down against Dotel and after Mike Aviles singled, Phil Coke entered the game only to surrender the go-ahead ground-rule double from Gonzalez which bounced over the short wall in right.
Youkilis greeted Joaquin Benoit with a leadoff shot in the eighth, and Aceves finished off the victory with a 1-2-3 ninth.
Detroit picked up a first-inning run on a bases-loaded fielder's choice grounder from Young.
It was 3-0 in the third. Quintin Berry led off with a triple and scored on a Danny Worth fly to center. Cabrera doubled, moved up on a wild pitch and came in on a Fielder groundout.
In the home fourth, Gonzalez reached on a ground-rule double and Ortiz launched a two-run blast to dead center. Youkilis then singled and Middlebrooks topped the Green Monster to give the Sox a 4-3 edge.
Boston starter Jon Lester allowed 10 hits and four runs with seven strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings, while counterpart Drew Smyly lasted six frames, charged with eight hits and four runs...The season series is knotted at three wins apiece, but the Red Sox have won eight of the last 12 meetings with the Tigers since the start of last year...Prior to the game, the Tigers announced that pitcher Doug Fister was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a rib strain which put him on the DL for most of April...Also, Detroit added catcher Omir Santos to the roster after demoting infielder Ryan Raburn following Tuesday's loss.
- DETROIT: 4
May 30 10:15 PM
- Kevin Youkilis lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Tigers 4, Red Sox 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 30 9:57 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez ground-rule double to right scored Daniel Nava. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and David Ortiz due up.
Tigers 4, Red Sox 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 30 9:43 PM
- Miguel Cabrera double to right scored Gerald Laird. On the play, Ramon Santiago advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 4, Red Sox 4 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 30 9:25 PM
- Will Middlebrooks two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Kevin Youkilis. Marlon Byrd due up.
Tigers 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 30 8:28 PM
- David Ortiz two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to center scored Adrian Gonzalez. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Tigers 3, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 30 8:24 PM
- Prince Fielder ground out third to first scored Miguel Cabrera. None on with two out and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 3, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 30 7:55 PM
- Miguel Cabrera doubled to center. Runner on second with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 2, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 30 7:51 PM
- Delmon Young grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Danny Worth. Prince Fielder out at second, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 30 7:22 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 7:11 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22