Nats edge Red Sox to complete sweepJun 11, 2012 - 4:10 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Roger Bernadina knocked in the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth inning, as the Washington Nationals snuck past the Boston Red Sox, 4-3, to complete a three-game sweep.
The Red Sox sent Alfredo Aceves (0-4) to the mound in the ninth. Pinch-hitter Bryce Harper walked and raced home on Bernadina's two-out double down the right-field line.
Tyler Clippard worked around a one-out walk in the bottom half of the frame to pick up his eighth save of the year.
Danny Espinosa had two RBI for Washington, which swept the Red Sox for the first time since 1999 when the organization still resided north of the border and was known as the Montreal Expos. Ryan Zimmerman added an RBI.
Washington starter Jordan Zimmermann gave up three runs on seven hits over seven innings. Tom Gorzelanny (2-1) tossed a scoreless eighth to get the win.
"(Zimmermann) pitched a heck of a ball game and I feel bad that we didn't win it for him," said Nationals manager Davey Johnson.
David Ortiz hit a solo homer for the Red Sox, who have lost six of seven. Scott Podsednik and Dustin Pedroia had an RBI apiece.
Jon Lester allowed three runs on six hits over seven full frames.
"Good umpires had a real bad series this series. A real bad series," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine. "It went one way."
The Nationals got on the board in the first. Espinosa led off with a double to left-center field, moved to third when Xavier Nady flied out and scored on Zimmerman's groundout.
The Red Sox tied the game in the third. Nick Punto walked and Scott Podsednik singled to put men on the corners with one out. Pedroia plated a run when he grounded into a fielder's choice.
Ortiz's solo homer in the fourth gave Boston a 2-1 lead.
Washington scored two runs in the seventh to go back in front. Ian Desmond and Tyler Moore hit back-to-back singles to start the inning. With two outs, Espinosa hit a two-run double to left for a 3-2 margin.
But the Red Sox tied the game in the bottom of the frame. Ryan Sweeney and Nick Punto hit consecutive singles. Darnell McDonald's sacrifice bunt moved the runners up a base. Podsednik plated the tying run when he grounded out.
Washington (35-23) is 12 games over .500 for the first time this season. The last time the Nationals reached 12-over was in July 2005 (55-43 after 98 games)...Nationals catcher Jesus Flores took a foul ball off his right hand in the bottom of the eighth...The Red Sox placed pitcher Rich Hill on the 15-day disabled list Sunday and recalled right-handed pitcher Mark Melancon from Triple-A Pawtucket...Harper was not in Sunday's starting lineup because of lower back tightness.
- WASHINGTON: 4
Jun 10 4:41 PM
- Roger Bernadina doubled to right scored Bryce Harper with two outs. On the play, Bernadina advances to third on the throw. Runner on third with two outs and Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 4, Red Sox 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 10 4:23 PM
- Scott Podsednik grounded out short to first scored Ryan Sweeney with two outs. On the play, Nick Punto advances to third. Runner on third and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Nationals 3, Red Sox 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 10 3:46 PM
- Xavier Nady flied out to center to end the inning.
Nationals 3, Red Sox 2 Mid 7Jun 10 3:35 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Nationals 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 10 2:43 PM
- Adam LaRoche popped out to first. None on with one out and Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 1, Red Sox 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 10 2:34 PM
- Michael Morse struck out swinging to end the inning.
Nationals 1, Red Sox 0 Mid 1Jun 10 1:40 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 1:35 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21