Red Sox nip Marlins, end losing streakJun 13, 2012 - 6:24 AM
Shoppach finished with a pair of doubles in four at-bats for the Red Sox, who snapped a four-game skid.
Buchholz (7-2) scattered five hits and one run, fanning nine with two walks for the win. Alfredo Aceves tossed a scoreless ninth for his 15th save.
"I thought Clay was absolutely fantastic," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine. "(He's) throwing the ball as well as we've seen him throw it all year. He's really on a roll."
A Logan Morrison solo homer was the lone production for the Marlins, who have dropped five straight. Jose Reyes, Omar Infante, Morrison and Hanley Ramirez each hit safely twice in defeat.
Mark Buehrle (5-7) gave up two runs on five hits in his seven-inning outing.
Buehrle held the Red Sox to one hit through the first six frames, but the roof fell in one frame later.
Will Middlebrooks singled with one down, and after an Adrian Gonzalez fly out, Shoppach doubled home one run and Aviles plated him with a single. Darnell McDonald singled to put runners on the corners, then Chris Coghlan made a diving stop in center to prevent an extra-base hit by Buchholz.
Morrison began the home half with a blast to right, but the next three batters went down quietly.
Vicente Padilla allowed two hits in the eighth with no damage, and Aceves worked around a Morrison base hit in the ninth.
Both starters dueled early on. Only two Boston batters reached second base in the first six innings. Miami stranded a man on third in the first, then Reyes was thrown out at home trying to score on a Ramirez single in the third.
"The way we were hitting I think we have to take every opportunity we have and take advantage of that and today we (didn't) do that," said Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen.
Boston improved to 16-10 against the Marlins all-time, including a 7-4 mark in south Florida...This is the first trip for the Red Sox to visit Miami since 2006...Buchholz has won three straight starts, and hasn't lost since May 16...Buehrle has lost three straight starts after recording four positive decisions in five outings from May 5-26.
- BOSTON: 2
Jun 12 10:06 PM
- Logan Morrison lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Red Sox 2, Marlins 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 12 9:06 PM
- Mike Aviles single to center scored Kelly Shoppach. Runner on first with two outs and Darnell McDonald due up.
Red Sox 2, Marlins 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 12 8:57 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21