Red Sox use 6-run 1st to down JaysJun 27, 2012 - 9:41 PM
Mike Aviles went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI while David Ortiz homered and walked three times for the Red Sox, who have won nine of their last 11, including the final two of this three-game series.
Jon Lester (5-5) got the win, allowing four runs on seven hits over seven innings. He struck out four and did not issue a walk.
"He hasn't been getting runs," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine. "We got him runs right off the bat and he did the rest. He threw the ball very well today."
Ricky Romero (8-2) had won four straight decisions, but he was tagged for nine runs -- eight earned -- over three-plus innings in the loss.
Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion both homered for Toronto.
Romero scarcely resembled the hurler who had posted a 2.72 ERA in his three previous starts against Boston, all of which resulted in wins.
He was spotted an early lead when Brett Lawrie began the game with a double and scored on Colby Rasmus' infield single, but Boston emphatically answered back.
"He wasn't the same pitcher today and we recognized that early," said Valentine. "We took a lot of pitches and hardly swung at a ball out of the strike zone the first three innings."
The strategy worked, beginning with a leadoff walk by Daniel Nava, who scored on Dustin Pedroia's double to right. Ortiz then walked and Cody Ross singled to load the bases. Gonzalez followed with a chopper towards first base, which bounced under the glove of Encarnacion, allowing two more runs to cross the plate.
Mike Aviles and Darnell McDonald added consecutive RBI singles and Boston had a lead it wouldn't relinquish.
More walks followed an inning later, to Ortiz and Ross, and Gonzalez capitalized with a single to right, making it 7-1.
Romero was pulled after more of the same in the fourth, issuing a leadoff walk to Ortiz before a Ross double off the Green Monster placed runners at second and third. Gonzalez greeted Jesse Chavez with an RBI single and Aviles doubled later in the frame to score Ross.
Ortiz pushed Boston's final run across with a solo shot in the fifth -- his 21st of the season.
Bautista hit his 25th homer in the fourth inning -- a leadoff blast which cleared the Green Monster, exited the stadium, and dented the roof of a black SUV located in an adjacent parking lot.
Encarnacion homered on the heels of Bautista's double in the sixth and Kelly Johnson appeared to knock a solo blast in the ninth, but McDonald extended high over the right field fence and pulled back the long fly ball.
The Red Sox are now a season-high five games over .500, at 40-35...Bautista hit his 13th home run this June, the most homers by a player in any single month in club history...Bautista and Encarnacion have combined to hit 47 home runs this season, which is the most by any duo in the majors.
- TORONTO: 4
Jun 27 4:18 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, two-run Home Run (22) to left scored Jose Bautista. Ben Francisco due up.
Blue Jays 4, Red Sox 10 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 27 3:33 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, solo Home Run (21) to right. Cody Ross due up.
Blue Jays 2, Red Sox 10 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 27 3:21 PM
- Mike Aviles double to left scored Cody Ross. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Darnell McDonald due up.
Blue Jays 2, Red Sox 9 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 27 3:06 PM
- Will Middlebrooks struck out looking. Runners on first and third with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Blue Jays 2, Red Sox 8 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 27 3:05 PM
- Jose Bautista lead-off Home Run (25) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 2, Red Sox 7 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 27 2:46 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored David Ortiz. On the play, Cody Ross advances to second and Adrian Gonzalez thrown out at second. Runner on second with two outs and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 7 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 27 2:25 PM
- Darnell McDonald single to center scored Mike Aviles. Runner on first with one out and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 6 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 27 2:05 PM
- Mike Aviles single to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on first with one out and Darnell McDonald due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 5 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 27 2:01 PM
- Will Middlebrooks ground out third to first scored Cody Ross. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 27 2:00 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez reached second on Edwin Encarnacion's fielding error scoring Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz. On the play, Cody Ross advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 27 2:00 PM
- Dustin Pedroia double to right scored Daniel Nava. Runner on second with none out and David Ortiz due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 27 1:52 PM
- Colby Rasmus infield single to second scored Brett Lawrie. Runner on first with none out and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 27 1:40 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 1:37 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21