M's edge Red Sox in 11 inningsJul 1, 2012 - 7:10 AM
Dustin Ackley sparked the rally in the bottom of the 11th with a one-out single before moving to third on Miguel Olivo's base hit to right.
Figgins then lifted a fly ball to right fielder Cody Ross, whose throw to home was on line, but catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia couldn't handle the short hop as Ackley slid in safely to give the Mariners their third win in their last five games.
"Look for something to drive because you don't want to take a non-aggressive swing," said Figgins about his approach in his last at-bat. "If you miss hit a fly ball, you've got a chance to score a run, so you really always think attack with a runner on third base and less than two outs."
Shawn Kelley (2-2) earned the victory after firing a perfect top of the 11th. John Jaso added a two-run double in the sixth to help the M's secure at least a split of this four-game set.
Alfredo Aceves (0-5) absorbed the loss for serving up Figgins' game-winning sac fly in the 11th. Adrian Gonzalez registered three hits to extend his hit- streak to 11 games in the setback.
Seattle starter Erasmo Ramirez retired all eight Red Sox batters he faced in the start, but was forced to leave the game with an injury in the top of the third inning.
Josh Beckett, who pitched for the first time since June 11 after inflammation in his right shoulder sent him to the disabled list, was equally impressive in the start for Boston.
He carried a no-hitter into the fifth before giving up a two-out single to Olivo. He worked his way out of the inning, but ran into trouble in the sixth.
Ichiro Suzuki stroked a one-out single and Casper Wells followed with a walk. Kyle Seager then lofted a fly ball into shallow left field to load the bases.
Jaso then delivered a double off the base of the wall in right, plating Suzuki and Wells to give the Mariners a 2-0 lead.
"It's good to have him back," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine of Beckett. "Just one inning with the Ichiro bloop and the walk and the ball that fell in, and maybe he just didn't have the kind of luck he needed to get through that inning."
The Red Sox mounted a charge in the seventh as Gonzalez, Will Middlebrooks and Ross stroked consecutive singles to load the bases with no outs.
Ryan Kalish then plated a run with a fielder's choice groundout before Seattle reliever Brandon League uncorked a wild pitch, allowing Middlebrooks to scamper home from third to knot the game at 2-2.
Boston activated Beckett from the 15-day DL before the game and designated outfielder Darnell McDonald for assignment...Ramirez is now winless in four starts this season...Boston went 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 10 on base...Seattle finished 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position while stranding nine...The Red Sox are now 0-5 in extra-inning games this season, including 0-2 on the road.
- BOSTON: 2
Jul 1 2:01 AM
- Chone Figgins sacrifice fly to right scored Dustin Ackley with two out to end the game.
Red Sox 2, Mariners 3 Bot 11, 2 OutsJul 1 2:00 AM
- Miguel Olivo passed ball scored Will Middlebrooks, Ryan Kalish advances to secondl. Runner on second with one out and Mike Aviles at the plate.
Red Sox 2, Mariners 2 Top 7, 1 OutJul 1 12:25 AM
- Ryan Kalish grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Adrian Gonzalez. Cody Ross out at second, Will Middlebrooks advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 1, Mariners 2 Top 7, 1 OutJul 1 12:22 AM
- John Jaso doubled to right scored Ichiro Suzuki and Casper Wells. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Justin Smoak due up.
Red Sox 0, Mariners 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 1 12:01 AM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 10:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21