Lawrie, Encarnacion lift Jays past Red SoxJul 22, 2012 - 4:20 AM
J.P. Arencibia launched a tiebreaking solo home run in the seventh inning for the Blue Jays, who had snapped a three-game losing streak with Friday's 6-1 win.
Carlos Villanueva (5-0) pitched 6 1/3 innings for Toronto. He limited the Red Sox to four hits, three of which came in the second. Jarrod Saltalamacchia's three-run homer was the right-hander's lone blemish.
"It was kind of a test, keeping the game within reach," said Villanueva. "Our guys came through, J.P. and Eddie, in a big way."
Aaron Cook (2-3) gave up five runs -- three earned -- on four hits over 6 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
After Arencibia hit a leadoff blast over the Green Monster, Yunel Escobar reached on an error with one out in the seventh. Rajai Davis drew a two-out walk, prompting Boston manager Bobby Valentine to take the ball from Franklin Morales and bring in Matt Albers.
Escobar and Davis executed a double steal before both men scored on a single by Lawrie.
The Blue Jays tacked on another run in the ninth on a fielder's choice.
Saltalamacchia opened the scoring by snapping a personal 0-for-14 skid. Adrian Gonzalez singled to lead off the second and Cody Ross followed with a double before the Boston catcher sent Villanueva's offering over the right field wall for his 18th home run of the season.
Toronto loaded the bases with no outs in the next frame on a double, an error and a single. Cook, though, managed to limit the damage to one run on Lawrie's sacrifice fly.
The Blue Jays tied the game in the sixth when Colby Rasmus drew a two-out walk and Encarnacion crushed a home run over the Green Monster.
"You can't walk guys before you give up home runs," admitted Cook. "That at- bat I just kind of lost command a little bit and I was trying to get back into it with Encarnacion coming up next and just left one that kind of leaked back a little bit."
The Red Sox honored recently-retired catcher and former team captain Jason Varitek in a pre-game ceremony...Villanueva had thrown 12 scoreless innings in his two previous July starts...Encarnacion matched a career high with his 26th home run of the year...Left-hander J.A. Happ, acquired in a 10-player trade with the Houston Astros on Friday, made his Toronto debut, recording the final two outs in the seventh...The Blue Jays placed relief pitcher Jason Frasor on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 17, with right forearm tightness.
- TORONTO: 7
Jul 21 10:27 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 7, Red Sox 3 Top 9, 1 OutJul 21 10:17 PM
- Colby Rasmus intentionally walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 6, Red Sox 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 21 9:33 PM
- Kelly Johnson grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 4, Red Sox 3 Top 7, 1 OutJul 21 9:16 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, two-run Home Run (26) to left scored Colby Rasmus. Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 3, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 21 9:01 PM
- Brett Lawrie sacrifice fly to right scored Kelly Johnson with two out. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 21 8:05 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia none-out, three-run Home Run (18) to right scored Adrian Gonzalez and Cody Ross. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Blue Jays 0, Red Sox 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 21 7:47 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 7:23 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21