Rangers use late runs to top Red SoxJul 26, 2012 - 5:54 AM
Dustin Pedroia belted a game-tying solo homer in the sixth inning, but Andrus was hit by a pitch in the seventh and moved to third base on a two-out single by Adrian Beltre before crossing the plate on Josh Beckett's wild pitch.
Derek Holland (7-5) lasted 7 2/3 innings, allowing three runs on four hits with a walk and seven strikeouts. He has won four straight games against the Red Sox dating back to 2009.
Joe Nathan tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to record his 20th save of the season.
David Murphy had an RBI double during a three-run fourth inning and Nelson Cruz hit a solo homer in the eighth for the Rangers, who took two of three in this set and improved to 10-2-1 over their last 13 series.
"We're still in first place, I think everybody is still looking up at us," said Texas manager Ron Washington. "We may have some inconsistent times but we have a good ball club."
Beckett (5-9) was charged with four runs on nine hits over seven innings. He walked two and struck out three, but lost for the fifth time in his last six decisions.
Pedroia drove in a run with a double play groundout in the first inning and also threw a runner out at the plate in the third. Texarkana native Will Middlebrooks had a solo shot for the Red Sox, who have lost five of their last six games.
"We hit a lot of balls hard tonight, a lot of balls in a lot of big situations too," said Middlebrooks. "We're doing all the right things."
Middlebrooks made it 2-0 in the fourth with his 12th homer of the season -- a blast to left-center -- before the Rangers went ahead in the home half.
Michael Young led off with a double to right and scored on Murphy's one-out, Tobago. Yorvit Torrealba followed with a line drive single to left field and Craig Gentry plated the tying run with a sacrifice bunt.
Ian Kinsler then made it 3-2 with a shallow fly ball, which a sliding Cody Ross failed to catch in right field. The play was similar to Beltre's two-out single in the seventh, which fell in next to the sliding Ross, moving Andrus to third base.
Holland was relieved after Pedro Ciriaco's single with two down in the eighth. Ciriaco stole second, but Mike Adams retired Pedroia to end the inning.
Cruz hit 13th homer of the season while Pedroia hit his seventh...Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton went 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout...The Rangers have won four of five meetings between the teams this season. They will close the season-series with a three-game set in Boston in early August...Holland improved to 4-1 in five career starts against the Red Sox.
- BOSTON: 3
Jul 25 10:52 PM
- Nelson Cruz lead-off Home Run (13) to right center. David Murphy due up.
Red Sox 3, Rangers 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 25 10:39 PM
- With Michael Young batting, Elvis Andrus scored on a Josh Beckett wild pitch with two out. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second and Michael Young at the plate.
Red Sox 3, Rangers 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 25 10:21 PM
- Dustin Pedroia one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left center. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 3, Rangers 3 Top 6, 1 OutJul 25 9:44 PM
- Ian Kinsler singled to right scoring Yorvit Torrealba with two out. Runner on first and Elvis Andrus due up.
Red Sox 2, Rangers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 25 9:22 PM
- Craig Gentry sacrifice bunt to catcher scored David Murphy with two out. On the play, Yorvit Torrealba advances to second. Runner on second and Ian Kinsler due up.
Red Sox 2, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 25 9:21 PM
- David Murphy doubled to left center scoring Michael Young with one out. Runner on second and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Red Sox 2, Rangers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 9:14 PM
- Carl Crawford struck out looking to end the inning.
Red Sox 2, Rangers 0 Mid 4Jul 25 9:06 PM
- Dustin Pedroia grounded into a double play, short to second to first scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. Pedro Ciriaco out at second. None on and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 25 8:15 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21