Buchholz, Red Sox take down TigersJul 31, 2012 - 6:59 AM
Will Middlebrooks hit a two-run homer while Carl Crawford drove in a run and scored twice for the Red Sox, who have won three straight.
Clay Buchholz (9-3) went eight innings in the win, giving up three runs -- two earned -- on five hits with two walks and four strikeouts.
"Everything felt pretty good out there today, had good control of my pitches and didn't really have to battle anybody too hard," said Buchholz.
Austin Jackson hit a solo home run while Miguel Cabrera and Alex Avila each drove in a run for the Tigers, who have lost four of five.
Max Scherzer (10-6) had won his previous four decisions, but lost on Monday as he gave up five runs on seven hits with a pair of walks and nine strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings.
"I thought he was pretty good all night out there," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland about Scherzer. "They have some good hitters over there and got a few runs, but I thought he was pretty stingy all night."
Detroit grabbed a quick lead as Jackson led off the game with his 11th homer of the year, but Boston answered in the bottom of the frame.
Jacoby Ellsbury led off with a walk and scored when Crawford followed with a triple. Pedroia then grounded out to short to score Crawford for a 2-1 lead.
The Tigers tied the game in the third, but wasted a chance for more. Omar Infante led off with a triple off the Monster and Jackson followed with a walk. After Quintin Berry popped out, Cabrera singled to tie the game. A walk to Prince Fielder loaded the bases, but Delmon Young hit into a 6-4-3 double play to end the frame.
In the sixth inning the Sox went ahead as Crawford led off with a walk and Pedroia lofted a pitch just over the Green Monster for his ninth homer and a 4-2 lead.
Detroit got one back in the seventh. Brennan Boesch struck out to start the frame, but the ball got away from Kelly Shoppach and his throw to first was wild, allowing Boesch to reach base. Two batters later, Avila doubled to right-center to make it a 4-3 game.
Boston got the run back in the bottom of the seventh as Ellsbury's RBI single was preceded by Shoppach's leadoff triple for a 5-3 advantage.
Middlebrooks' homer with Adrian Gonzalez on base in the eighth inning gave Boston a comfortable 7-3 lead.
Each team has won four games in the season series...Both teams left just five men on base...Buchholz improve to 2-1 in eight games against Detroit...Scherzer fell to 1-3 in six games against Boston...Shoppach's error was his third of the season...Boston right fielder Ryan Sweeney injured his left hand punching a door after grounding out in the eighth inning. He left the game and will have X-rays.
- DETROIT: 3
Jul 30 10:09 PM
- Ryan Sweeney grounded out second to first. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Tigers 3, Red Sox 7 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 30 9:53 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to right scored Kelly Shoppach with one out. Runner on first and Carl Crawford due up.
Tigers 3, Red Sox 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 30 9:26 PM
- Alex Avila double to right center scored Brennan Boesch with one out. Runner on second and Omar Infante due up.
Tigers 3, Red Sox 4 Top 7, 1 OutJul 30 9:15 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Tigers 2, Red Sox 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 30 8:57 PM
- Prince Fielder walked. Bases loaded with one out and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 2, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 1 OutJul 30 8:04 PM
- Dustin Pedroia ground out short to first scored Carl Crawford with one out. None on and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Tigers 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:30 PM
- Carl Crawford triple to center scored Jacoby Ellsbury with none out. Runner on third and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Tigers 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 30 7:29 PM
- Austin Jackson lead-off Home Run (11) to center. Quintin Berry due up.
Tigers 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 30 7:14 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:13 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22