Cook shines as Red Sox rout RangersAug 7, 2012 - 2:26 AM
Cook (3-5) scattered six hits and gave up a run to snap a four-decision skid. The right-hander, who was winless in his previous five starts, posted his first victory since a two-hit shutout June 29 at Seattle.
Dustin Pedroia hit three of Boston's eight doubles and had an RBI to cap a three-run fourth inning, as the Red Sox posted their second straight win following a four-game slide. Jacoby Ellsbury went 3-for-5 and scored three times in the opener of this three-game series.
"Consistent at-bats are what we're getting these days. These guys are world class players and they're playing very well now," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said.
Yu Darvish (11-8) surrendered a career-high 11 hits along with six runs over 6 2/3 innings, while recording nine strikeouts. Darvish, facing the Red Sox for the first time, walked four batters.
"We just have to keep working and get him back on track," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "He's better than what he's shown. We certainly don't want to see him go backwards. He's just got to keep battling. We're not going to let him quit. He'll get it together."
David Murphy singled in Nelson Cruz in the second inning and Adrian Beltre homered off Junichi Tazawa in the ninth, but the Rangers dropped their second in a row on the heels of a four-game winning streak.
Cruz doubled to start the second, and Murphy followed with a line single to center.
Mike Aviles grounded out to leave a pair of runners in scoring position in the bottom of the second, but the Red Sox scored twice in the third. Ellsbury and Crawford doubled to start the frame, and one out later Gonzalez laced a two- bagger down the right field line for a 2-1 edge.
Ellsbury stroked an RBI double to left in the fourth and Crawford followed with a sacrifice fly to center. The throw home was on line from Josh Hamilton, but catcher Mike Napoli couldn't corral the ball on the second bounce. Pedroia then scraped a ball high off the Green Monster for another double, resulting in a 5-1 margin.
Gonzalez singled in Pedroia in the seventh and the Red Sox added three more runs in the eighth on an RBI double from Crawford, single from Gonzalez and sacrifice fly from Cody Ross.
Darvish needs one victory to tie the club record for wins by a Rangers rookie in a season: Ed Correa (1986), Kevin Brown (1989), and Chris Young (2005)...Texas holds a 4-2 lead in the season series...Gonzalez went 3-for-5 with men in scoring position Monday. He paces the majors with a .418 average with runners in scoring position this season.
- TEXAS: 2
Aug 6 9:59 PM
- Nelson Cruz singled to left. Runner on first with none out and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 2, Red Sox 9 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 6 9:55 PM
- Cody Ross sacrifice fly out to right scored Pedro Ciriaco with two out. Runner on first and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 6 9:47 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to right scoring Carl Crawford with one out. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on first and third and Cody Ross due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 8 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 6 9:43 PM
- Carl Crawford doubled to center scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. Runner on second and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 7 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 6 9:37 PM
- Cody Ross struck out swinging. Runner on first with one out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 6 9:16 PM
- Dustin Pedroia doubled to left scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. Runner on second and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 6 8:32 PM
- Carl Crawford sacrifice fly out to center scored Mike Aviles with two out. Runner on second and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 6 8:28 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury doubled to left scoring Ryan Kalish with one out. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to third. Runners on second and third and Carl Crawford due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 6 8:26 PM
- Cody Ross flied out to left. Runner on second with two outs and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 6 8:08 PM
- Carl Crawford doubled to right scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with none out. Runner on second and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 6 8:05 PM
- David Murphy singled to center scoring Nelson Cruz with none out. Runner on first and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 6 7:34 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 7:11 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21