Dempster controls BoSox for first W with RangersAug 8, 2012 - 5:58 AM
Traded by the Cubs at the July 31 deadline, Dempster (1-0) took a no-decision in his Texas debut, a 15-9 Rangers win on Thursday versus the Angels. Tuesday's game was much different for the veteran right-hander, who gave up six hits and three unearned runs, coming on a homer by Will Middlebrooks. Dempster struck out six over 6 2/3 innings.
"The tone was set by Dempster. He kept those bats off balance," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "He moved the ball around, had a good slider. He was able to spot his fastball down in the zone."
Nelson Cruz and Elvis Andrus had insurance RBI hits over the final two innings for the AL West leaders, who evened this three-game series.
Jon Lester (5-10) was charged with six hits and four runs over 6 2/3 innings. The lefty fell to 0-5 over his last seven starts. Lester also has double-digit losses in a season for the first time in his major league career. He's 2-8 at Fenway Park this year.
"He was throwing the ball down in the zone," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said. "He walked a couple of guys tonight, but he threw the ball really well. We can knit-pick it all we want...he pitched pretty good."
Cody Ross doubled twice for the Red Sox, who have lost five of their last seven contests.
Ahead 4-0, Dempster should have escaped a jam in the bottom of the seventh, but a costly error by second baseman Ian Kinsler extended the frame. Jarrod Saltalamacchia singled with one out, and with two down Ryan Kalish sent a grounder to Kinsler, who couldn't handle the ball. Middlebrooks, in a pinch- hit role, then belted a homer barely over the Green Monster.
The ball was touched by a fan reaching closely to the red line at the plateau of the left field wall that delineates an in-play ball. Umpires used video review to confirm the home run.
Facing Mark Melancon, Cruz singled to right to drive in Josh Hamilton in the eighth. Andrus knocked in Craig Gentry with a base hit to right in the ninth off Junichi Tazawa.
Joe Nathan faced the minimum in the bottom of the ninth to notch his 22nd save of the year.
Kinsler and Hamilton singled in runs in the sixth inning, and it became 4-0 in the seventh when David Murphy lifted a sacrifice fly, and Kinsler singled in Geovany Soto.
The Rangers have won six of their last eight games at Fenway Park...Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia was ejected in the top of the ninth inning by first base umpire Paul Nauert...The Rangers have guaranteed a win in the season series for a franchise-high fourth consecutive campaign.
- TEXAS: 6
Aug 7 10:32 PM
- Adrian Beltre lined out to left to end the inning.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 3 Mid 9Aug 7 10:23 PM
- Nelson Cruz single to right scored Josh Hamilton with one out. Runner on first with one out and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 5, Red Sox 3 Top 8, 1 OutAug 7 9:39 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Will Middlebrooks two-out, three-run Home Run (14) to left scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ryan Kalish. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Rangers 4, Red Sox 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 7 9:23 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to left scored Geovany Soto with two out. On the play, Mike Olt advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 4, Red Sox 0 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 7 9:12 PM
- Mike Olt walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 0 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 7 9:05 PM
- Adrian Beltre flied out to right to end the inning.
Rangers 2, Red Sox 0 Mid 6Aug 7 8:41 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to left scored David Murphy with one out. Runner on first with one out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 1 OutAug 7 8:31 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Aug 7 7:14 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21