Boston breaks out for 14 runs in win over TribeAug 12, 2012 - 11:17 PM
Adrian Gonzalez smacked a two-run homer and drove in four, Carl Crawford had three doubles, three RBI and two runs scored and Lester spun six innings of one-run ball as Boston clobbered the Cleveland Indians, 14-1, in the finale of a four-game set.
Lester (6-10), who had not won since beating the Toronto Blue Jays on June 27, fanned 12, scattered three hits and walked two for Boston, which had lost four of its last five.
Jacoby Ellsbury racked up two hits, two RBI and a pair of runs scored and Mike Aviles added three hits and three runs for a Boston offensive attack which pounded 16 hits.
"A laugher and we needed it," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine.
The Red Sox clobbered Corey Kluber (0-1), who surrendered six runs on seven hits in just 3 1/3 innings for the Indians, who fell to 3-2 on the heels of their 11-game losing streak.
"Kluber just didn't have command of his fastball...everything was up," said Indians manager Manny Acta.
The Red Sox struck with three runs in the opening frame. Consecutive one-out doubles by Crawford and Dustin Pedroia plated a run before Gonzalez cracked a two-run shot into the seats in right to give Boston a 3-0 advantage.
Cleveland got a run back in the home half on Carlos Santana's sacrifice fly to center, but Boston put two on the board in the second, one in the fourth and eight more in the fifth.
Crawford belted a two-run double to right-center field in the second and Kelly Shoppach lined an RBI single to center in the fourth. In the fifth, Cody Ross and Jarrod Saltalamacchia tallied RBI singles, Danny Valencia brought home a run with a sacrifice fly, then Ellsbury, Gonzalez and Crawford doubled to make the score 14-1.
Gonzalez's homer was his 13th of the season...The Red Sox were 9-for-19 with runners in scoring position, while Cleveland finished 0-for-3...Boston improved to 44-11 when scoring 5-or-more runs.
- BOSTON: 14
Aug 12 4:25 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez double to center scored Carl Crawford and Dustin Pedroia with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Red Sox 14, Indians 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 12 3:02 PM
- Carl Crawford double to center scored Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 12, Indians 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 12 2:54 PM
- Danny Valencia sacrifice fly to left scored Cody Ross with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Red Sox 9, Indians 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 12 2:48 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia infield single to second scored Adrian Gonzalez with none out. On the play, Cody Ross advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 8, Indians 1 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 12 2:44 PM
- Josh Tomlin enters the game for the Indians with a runner on second and one out.
Red Sox 6, Indians 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 12 2:25 PM
- Lou Marson struck out swinging. None on with one out and Jack Hannahan due up.
Red Sox 5, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 12 1:50 PM
- Carlos Santana sacrifice fly out to center scored Jason Donald. Runner on first with two outs and Shelley Duncan due up.
Red Sox 3, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 12 1:27 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Dustin Pedroia. Cody Ross due up.
Red Sox 3, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 12 1:13 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 1:05 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21