Angels outlast Red Sox in Fenway slugfestAug 24, 2012 - 5:39 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Vernon Wells' RBI double during a two-run 10th inning proved to be the difference as the Los Angeles Angels survived a wild night at Fenway Park to complete a three-game sweep of the Boston Red Sox with a 14-13 victory on Thursday.
Facing Alfredo Aceves (2-8), Kendrys Morales launched the first pitch he saw deep down the line in right and into the seats just inside the Pesky Pole. Erick Aybar singled and Wells smoked a line drive down the line in left off Craig Breslow to score Aybar and give the Halos a 14-12 advantage.
Wells' double made a winner out of Ernesto Frieri (2-0) who allowed the game- tying home run to Cody Ross in the ninth and a run in the 10th, but fanned Adrian Gonzalez with a runner on base to preserve the win.
Wells finished with three RBI, but his home run in the ninth inning that caromed off the top of the Green Monster likely wasn't a homer, but was ruled so. The Red Sox didn't challenge the call and replay wasn't used.
"When I hit it, I was just thinking it hit off the wall," Wells said. "Then I saw the way it bounced off so I assumed it was a home run. But once I got in [clubhouse], they told me otherwise but we'll take it. It was a great game to be a part of. We've come out on the wrong end of lot of those games in the last couple of weeks so it was good to see this team fight and score enough runs to win this game tonight."
Chris Iannetta, Torii Hunter, Morales and Mike Trout all added a pair of RBI. Howie Kendrick and Mark Trumbo added an RBI in the triumph.
Dustin Pedroia ripped a three-run home run and had five RBI, while Mike Aviles added a solo shot for the fading Red Sox, who have lost four straight and five of six.
Earlier, the Red Sox opened the scoring in the second inning when Pedroia ripped a two-out double into center field and came around to score on a base hit by Gonzalez.
Boston blew the game open with five more runs in its next at-bat. Mauro Gomez got things started with a double down the line in left and scored on a base hit by Scott Podsednik. Pedro Ciriaco singled to put two runners on and Jacoby Ellsbury followed with an RBI single before Pedroia capped the rally with a towering shot over the Green Monster in left, making it 6-0.
The Angels roared back with eight runs in the third to take the lead. Iannetta got the rally started with a base hit and Hunter singled before Kendrick ripped an RBI single up the middle. Alberto Callaspo walked to load the bases with two outs.
Morales drew a bases-loaded walk and Aybar reached on an error by Ciriaco to make it 6-3. Red Sox starter Franklin Morales was pulled for Clayton Mortensen, but he allowed a bases-full walk to Wells, a two-run single to Iannetta, and RBI base hits Trout and Hunter, giving the Halos an 8-6 lead.
Ross knocked home Pedroia with two down in the fifth to pull the BoSox within 8-7, and the Red Sox put up two runs in the sixth on a solo shot by Aviles and an RBI double by Ellsbury to take a 9-8 lead.
The Angels got it right back in the seventh. Kendrys Morales and Aybar singled off Andrew Bailey to start the inning and Trout tied the game for the Angels with a sharp base hit back through the box.
Ellsbury singled home Podsednik and Pedroia singled to third, which allowed Ciriaco to score in the eighth to give the Red Sox an 11-9 lead.
The Angels battled back with three runs in the ninth. Wells started the inning with a solo shot off the top of the Monster in left and Hunter drove in the tying run with a single to left before Trumbo ripped a single to center, scoring Hunter to give the Angels a 12-11 lead.
But, on the first pitch of the bottom of the inning, Ross took Frieri deep to tie it back up at 12.
"It was a crazy night and you feel like whoever was hitting last was going to win," Pedroia said.
Angels starter C.J. Wilson allowed seven runs -- six earned -- on eight hits with no walks and six strikeouts over five innings. He is winless since the All-Star break and has not won in his last 12 starts ... The Angels announced on Thursday that slugger Albert Pujols, who missed the game, is day-to-day with inflammation in his right calf ... The Red Sox have lost 11 of their last 15 games and are 16-23 since the All-Star break ... The Red Sox walked three men with the bases loaded and lead the American League in that category with 14 ... The Red Sox announced during the game that outfielder Carl Crawford underwent successful Tommy John surgery on his left elbow ... Franklin Morales allowed six runs on six hits and two walks in just 2 2/3 innings.
- LOS ANGELES: 14
Aug 23 11:47 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to right scored Pedro Ciriaco with two outs. Runner on first with and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Angels 14, Red Sox 13 Bot 10, 2 OutsAug 23 11:44 PM
- Vernon Wells double to left scored Erick Aybar with none out. On the play, Vernon Wells out at third. None on and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 14, Red Sox 12 Top 10, 1 OutAug 23 11:28 PM
- Kendrys Morales lead-off Home Run (16) to right. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 13, Red Sox 12 Top 10, 0 OutsAug 23 11:19 PM
- Cody Ross lead-off Home Run (19) to left. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Angels 12, Red Sox 12 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 23 11:09 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to center scored Torii Hunter with two outs. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 12, Red Sox 11 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 23 11:01 PM
- Torii Hunter single to left scored Mike Trout with two outs. Runner on second with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 11, Red Sox 11 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 23 10:58 PM
- Vernon Wells one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 10, Red Sox 11 Top 9, 1 OutAug 23 10:53 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to third scored Pedro Ciriaco with two outs. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Angels 9, Red Sox 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 23 10:46 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to right scored Scott Podsednik with two outs. On the play, Pedro Ciriaco advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Angels 9, Red Sox 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 23 10:43 PM
- Mike Trout single to center scored Kendrys Morales with two outs. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 9, Red Sox 9 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 23 10:06 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury double to left scored Pedro Ciriaco with two outs. Runner on second and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Angels 8, Red Sox 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 23 9:52 PM
- Mike Aviles one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Scott Podsednik due up.
Angels 8, Red Sox 8 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 23 9:45 PM
- Howie Kendrick grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 8, Red Sox 7 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 23 9:30 PM
- Torii Hunter single to right scored Chris Iannetta with two outs. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 8, Red Sox 6 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:33 PM
- Mike Trout single to right scored Vernon Wells with two outs. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 7, Red Sox 6 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:30 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to left scored Kendrys Morales and Erick Aybar with two outs. On the play, Vernon Wells advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 6, Red Sox 6 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:28 PM
- Vernon Wells walked scored Alberto Callaspo with two outs. Bases loaded with two outs and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 4, Red Sox 6 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:25 PM
- Erick Aybar reached first on Pedro Ciriaco's fielding error scoring Howie Kendrick with two outs. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second and Alberto Callaspo advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 6 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:21 PM
- Kendrys Morales walk scored Torii Hunter with two outs. Bases loaded and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 6 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 23 8:15 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored Mike Trout with one out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 6 Top 3, 1 OutAug 23 8:06 PM
- Dustin Pedroia two-out, three-run Home Run (11) to left scored Pedro Ciriaco and Jacoby Ellsbury. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Angels 0, Red Sox 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 23 7:57 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to center scored Scott Podsednik with two outs. On the play, Pedro Ciriaco advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Angels 0, Red Sox 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 23 7:55 PM
- Scott Podsednik single to center scored Mauro Gomez with two outs. Runner on first and Pedro Ciriaco due up.
Angels 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 23 7:50 PM
- Cody Ross grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez out at second to end the inning.
Angels 0, Red Sox 1 End 1Aug 23 7:32 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 23 7:14 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21