Trout, Hunter help Angels rally past Red SoxAug 29, 2012 - 5:56 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout tied the game with a broken-bat RBI single, and Torii Hunter capped the two-run rally in the bottom of the ninth inning with a sacrifice fly, as the Los Angeles Angels edged the Boston Red Sox, 6-5, to start a three-game series.
The Red Sox were in line to extend their winning streak in Anaheim to eight games, but Alfredo Aceves (2-9), who returned from a team-imposed three-game suspension, blew the save opportunity.
Erick Aybar was nicked by a pitch with one out and stole second before pinch- hitter Alberto Callaspo walked.
Trout, who homered earlier in the game to become the first MLB rookie with 25 homers and 40 steals, broke his bat on a single up the middle, just past a diving Dustin Pedroia.
"I shortened up my swing and hit the ball up the middle," Trout said. "I got a pitch to hit and I found a hole."
Aybar scored easily, and Hunter followed with a deep fly ball to center field, and Callaspo trotted home as the Angels beat Boston for a sixth straight time.
"Every game is big for us," Trout said. "We just have to take it one game at a time and push this race to the playoffs."
Trout had three hits and two RBI, and Albert Pujols also went deep for the Angels, winners in five of their last seven games. They are 4 1/2 games behind Baltimore and Oakland in the wild card chase.
Boston's Clay Buchholz and the Angels' Jered Weaver each threw seven innings in a rematch from last Wednesday.
Kevin Jepsen (3-2) pitched the ninth inning to keep the Angels in striking distance until Aceves suffered his eighth blown save of the year.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia homered and knocked in two runs for Boston.
"I thought we played a good game. We scored enough runs to win, but we couldn't hold on tonight," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said.
Trout homered to left-center field on Buchholz's second pitch of the night. Mark Trumbo's sacrifice fly plated Hunter later in the opening inning.
Saltalamacchia crushed a 2-2 pitch over the wall in right field in the second inning, and the Red Sox went ahead with three runs in the fourth.
A pair of singles and a walk loaded the bases before James Loney's line drive base hit to right field tied the game, 2-2. Saltalamacchia's single to right field scored Jacoby Ellsbury, and Ryan Lavarnway came home on Ryan Kalish's double-play groundout.
Ellsbury singled, stole second and scored on Lavarnway's sac fly in the sixth inning before the Angels got two back in their half on Pujols' 29th homer of the year, a shot to center, and Howie Kendrick's RBI double to left. With men on the corners, Aybar grounded out to end the frame.
Kendrick has a 14-game hitting streak .... The 21-year-old Trout became the youngest player ever with at least 25 homers and 40 steals in a season. Cesar Cedeno (1973) was the only player in history to do so before turning 23 years old ... The Red Sox placed left-handed pitcher Franklin Morales on the 15-day disabled list with left shoulder inflammation ... Ellsbury has tallied multiple hits in six straight games.
- BOSTON: 5
LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 29 1:12 AM
- Torii Hunter sacrifice fly to center scored Alberto Callaspo with two out to end the game.
Red Sox 5, Angels 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 29 1:12 AM
- Mike Trout single to center scored Erick Aybar with one out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Torii Hunter due up.
Red Sox 5, Angels 5 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 29 1:09 AM
- Howie Kendrick double to left scored Mark Trumbo with two out. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to third on the throw. Runner on third and Maicer Izturis due up.
Red Sox 5, Angels 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 28 11:59 PM
- Kendrys Morales grounded out third to first. None on with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Red Sox 5, Angels 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 28 11:49 PM
- Ryan Lavarnway sacrifice fly to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. None on and James Loney due up.
Red Sox 5, Angels 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 28 11:39 PM
- Jose Iglesias grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Red Sox 4, Angels 2 Mid 4Aug 28 11:14 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia single to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury with none out. On the play, James Loney advances to second and Ryan Lavarnway advances to third. Bases loaded and Ryan Kalish due up.
Red Sox 3, Angels 2 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 28 11:12 PM
- James Loney single to right scored Dustin Pedroia with none out. On the play, Ryan Lavarnway advances to second and Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Bases loaded and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 2, Angels 2 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 28 11:11 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia two-out, solo Home Run (22) to right. Ryan Kalish due up.
Red Sox 1, Angels 2 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 10:34 PM
- Mark Trumbo sacrifice fly to left scored Torii Hunter with two out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Red Sox 0, Angels 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 28 10:24 PM
- Mike Trout lead-off Home Run (25) to left. Torii Hunter due up.
Red Sox 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 28 10:15 PM
- BOSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 10:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21