Wilson ends skid as Angels pound Red SoxAug 30, 2012 - 6:34 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - The LA Angels of Anaheim spotted C.J. Wilson an early cushion, which helped him snap out of a prolonged winless slide.
Kendrys Morales and Chris Iannetta each smacked a two-run homer, while Wilson tossed six innings of three-run ball in the Angels' 10-3 rout of the Boston Red Sox in the middle test of a three-game set.
Winless over his past 11 starts with a 7.20 ERA in that span, Wilson (10-9) fanned four, surrendered eight hits and walked two. It's his first win since June 26th against the Baltimore Orioles.
"It was good to go out there and get some solid innings," Wilson said. "I just simplified stuff tonight and hit my spots. I threw a ton of strikes, the bats gave me a nice lead early."
Torii Hunter tallied three hits, two RBI and a run scored for the Angels, who have won six of their last eight games.
Zach Stewart (1-3), who was acquired from the Chicago White Sox, along with Brent Lillibridge, on June 24 in exchange for Kevin Youkilis and cash, was rocked in his Red Sox debut. He allowed nine runs on 10 hits in three innings.
"Zach got too many pitches up, he has to keep the ball down in the zone," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said. "He wasn't very good tonight."
The Angels plated nine runs over the first three frames to take a 9-1 lead.
Mike Trout singled to begin the home first before coming home on Hunter's double to left field. Hunter came home on Albert Pujols' single and Morales launched a two-run homer to right field for a 4-0 Angels advantage.
Scott Podsednik's sacrifice fly got the Red Sox on the board in the second, but the Angels got the run back in the home half on Hunter's RBI single to make it a 5-1 game.
Back-to-back RBI doubles by Alberto Callaspo and Erick Aybar in the third, followed by Iannetta's two-run shot to left-center field gave the Halos a 9-1 edge.
Podsednik, who led off the fifth with a single, later scored on an Iannetta throwing error when Jacoby Ellsbury stole second. Ellsbury came home on Dustin Pedroia's single.
The Angels, though, answered with a run in the home half. Mark Trumbo began the frame with a walk and later scored when Callaspo grounded into a double play, which made it 10-3.
Wilson's 11 straight starts with at least 4 2/3 innings pitched and no victories is tied for the fifth longest single season stretch since 1918 ... The Angels went 6-for-16 with runners in scoring position, while Boston finished 1-for-10.
- BOSTON: 3
LOS ANGELES: 10
Aug 30 1:15 AM
- Alberto Callaspo grounded into a double play, second to short to first that scored Mark Trumbo with two out. None on and Erick Aybar due up.
Red Sox 3, Angels 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 30 12:00 AM
- Cody Ross lined out to left. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Lavarnway due up.
Red Sox 3, Angels 9 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 29 11:47 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury stole second. On the play, Scott Podsednik scored on Chris Iannetta's throwing error with one out. Runner on second and Dustin Pedroia at the plate.
Red Sox 2, Angels 9 Top 5, 1 OutAug 29 11:43 PM
- Chris Iannetta two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left center scored Erick Aybar. Mike Trout due up.
Red Sox 1, Angels 9 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 29 11:19 PM
- Erick Aybar double to center scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. Runner on second and Chris Iannetta due up.
Red Sox 1, Angels 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 29 11:16 PM
- Alberto Callaspo double to right scored Kendrys Morales with two out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Red Sox 1, Angels 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 29 11:14 PM
- Torii Hunter single to center scored Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols due up.
Red Sox 1, Angels 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 29 10:56 PM
- Pedro Ciriaco grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Red Sox 1, Angels 4 Mid 2Aug 29 10:48 PM
- Kendrys Morales none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to right scored Albert Pujols. Mark Trumbo due up.
Red Sox 0, Angels 4 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 29 10:33 PM
- Albert Pujols single to center scored Torii Hunter with none out. On the play, Albert Pujols advanced to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Kendrys Morales due up.
Red Sox 0, Angels 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 29 10:32 PM
- BOSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21