A's crush Red Sox, 20-2Sep 1, 2012 - 5:46 AM
Brandon Moss went 4-for-5 with a two-run homer and four RBI, Josh Reddick blasted a grand slam, and Josh Donaldson also clobbered a two-run home run.
Jonny Gomes drove in a pair of runs and scored twice for the A's, who have won seven straight games. Stephen Drew and Cliff Pennington also had RBI in the blowout.
Brandon McCarthy (8-5) earned his second consecutive win with 6 1/3 solid innings on the mound. He allowed two runs on eight hits and no walks with one strikeout.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia clubbed a solo homer and Mauro Gonzalez added an RBI for the sliding Red Sox, who have lost four in a row and nine of their last 12 games.
Aaron Cook (3-8) started for the Red Sox, but lasted just 2 2/3 innings as he was hammered for six runs on seven hits.
Oakland jumped on top early, plating four runs in the second inning. Yoenis Cespedes started the frame with a single and came around to score on a double by Moss for the first run of the game. Gomes singled in Moss and Donaldson capped the big inning with a two-run shot off the concrete beyond the center field wall.
Reddick ripped a one-out double in the third and scored on a double by Moss. Gomes followed with a base hit up the middle, extending the A's lead to 6-0 and sending Cook to the clubhouse for the night.
Saltalamacchia got the Red Sox on the board in the fourth with a monster shot into the right field seats off McCarthy, making it 6-1.
The A's, though, widened the advantage to 8-1 in the fifth when Moss turned on a fastball from Alfredo Aceves and yanked it into the upper deck down the right field line.
Kottaras added to the rout in the sixth as he took Daniel Bard deep over the wall in right for his second home run in an Oakland uniform.
Gomez brought home Pedro Ciriaco with a groundout in the seventh, but the A's added to the blowout in the home half, putting up nine more runs.
Cespedes and Moss singled before Gomes walked to load the bases and Donaldson reached on an error by Gomez, which allowed Cespedes to score. Kottaras then plated Moss and Gomes with a single to right field.
Pennington doubled home pinch-runner Adam Rosales and Coco Crisp walked to load the bases and Drew singled in Kottaras before Reddick rubbed salt in the wounds of his former team by smashing a curveball from Mark Melancon over the wall in right.
Rosales pulled a one-out double down the line in right in the eighth and Kottaras capped the rout after taking Vicente Padilla over the right field fence for his second long ball of the game.
The A's scored 20 runs in a game for the fourth time in franchise history, and second time against the Boston Red Sox. Oakland last scored 20 against the Sox in a 21-7 rout on June 14, 1969 ... The 18-run margin of victory was the club's largest over Boston since a 24-6 triumph on May 1, 1929 ... The A's improved to 74-57 on the season, matching their win total for all of 2011 ... It was Moss' first career four-hit game ... Donaldson has homered in each of his last three games ... Oakland leads the season series between the team, 6-1 ...Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia extended his hitting streak to 11 games.
- BOSTON: 2
Sep 1 1:09 AM
- George Kottaras one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (3) to right scored Adam Rosales. Cliff Pennington due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 20 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 1 12:59 AM
- Josh Reddick one-out, Grand Slam (28) to right scored Cliff Pennington, Coco Crisp and Stephen Drew. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 18 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 1 12:38 AM
- Stephen Drew singled to left scored George Kottaras. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to second and Cliff Pennington advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Josh Reddick due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 14 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 1 12:35 AM
- Cliff Pennington doubled to right scored Adam Rosales. On the play, George Kottaras advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Coco Crisp due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 13 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 1 12:27 AM
- George Kottaras singled to right scored Brandon Moss and Jonny Gomes. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Cliff Pennington due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 12 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 1 12:24 AM
- Josh Donaldson reached first on Mauro Gomez' fielding error scored Yoenis Cespedes. On the play, Jonny Gomes advances to second and Brandon Moss advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and George Kottaras due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 10 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 1 12:22 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Mauro Gomez grounded out third to first scored Pedro Ciriaco. Runner on second with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 9 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 1 12:08 AM
- George Kottaras one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Cliff Pennington due up.
Red Sox 1, Athletics 9 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 31 11:53 PM
- Jonny Gomes struck out swinging on a foul tip to end the inning.
Red Sox 1, Athletics 8 End 5Aug 31 11:36 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia two-out, solo Home Run (23) to right. Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 1, Athletics 6 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 31 11:10 PM
- Jonny Gomes singled to center scored Brandon Moss. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Donaldson due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 31 10:59 PM
- Brandon Moss doubled to short scored Josh Reddick. Runner on second with two outs and Jonny Gomes due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 31 10:59 PM
- Josh Donaldson none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Jonny Gomes. George Kottaras due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 31 10:42 PM
- Jonny Gomes singled to right scored Brandon Moss. Runner on first with none out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 31 10:41 PM
- Brandon Moss doubled to left scored Yoenis Cespedes. Runner on second with none out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 31 10:37 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 10:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21