A's complete sweep of struggling Red SoxSep 3, 2012 - 3:27 AM
Seth Smith was 2-for-3 with a two-run home run and two runs scored for the red-hot Athletics, who have won nine consecutive games and share the wild card lead with Baltimore.
"We're doing things pretty well," said A's manager Bob Melvin.
That includes Brett Anderson (3-0), who went six innings, giving up one run on five hits with a walk and four strikeouts. Anderson has a 0.90 ERA in three starts since coming off the disabled list after missing more than a year recovering from Tommy John surgery.
"To give us three games with that type effort with the magnitude of the games ... it's all really impressive," said Melvin.
Oakland remains three games back of Texas, which defeated Cleveland on Sunday, for first in the AL West.
Cody Ross and Mauro Gomez both drove in a run for the Red Sox, who have dropped a season-high six straight.
"It's not easy," Ross said of the losing streak. "But we're professionals. We have to come back from being down. That's the name of the game."
Daisuke Matsuzaka (1-4) was charged with six runs on seven hits in just 3 2/3 innings of work.
Oakland got on the board quickly in the first inning when Coco Crisp walked to lead off and Smith followed with his 13th homer of the season for a 2-0 lead.
Drew added a one-out solo homer in the second, his first with Oakland, while Josh Reddick scored a run in the third with a sacrifice fly and Drew singled in a run later in the inning for a 5-0 lead.
In the fourth, Cliff Pennington led off with a single, stole second and went to third two batters later on a Reddick single. Yoenis Cespedes' groundout plated Pennington for a 6-0 advantage.
Boston had just two baserunners through the first five innings, but got on the board in the sixth.
Jose Iglesias walked to leadoff, but was forced out at second on a Pedro Ciriaco grounder. Singles from Scott Podsednik and Dustin Pedroia loaded the bases. Ross then singled to left and Ciriaco easily scored, but Podsednik was nailed at home. Gomez then struck out to end the frame.
Boston was set down in order in the seventh and eighth, while Gomez's sacrifice fly in the ninth off of Grant Balfour accounted for the final score.
Oakland won eight of the nine games against Boston this season...The A's host the Angels for three games starting on Monday...Boston continues its three- game road trip in Seattle on Monday...Matsuzaka is 4-3 in nine games against Oakland in his career.
- BOSTON: 2
Sep 2 6:58 PM
- Cody Ross singled to left scored Pedro Ciriaco. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second and Scott Podsednik out at home. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mauro Gomez due up.
Red Sox 1, Athletics 6 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 2 6:01 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes ground out scored Cliff Pennington with two outs.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 2 5:29 PM
- Stephen Drew single scored Seth Smith with two outs.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 5:06 PM
- Josh Reddick sacrifice fly scored Coco Crisp with one out.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 4 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 2 4:57 PM
- Derek Norris lined out to pitcher. None on with two outs and Cliff Pennington due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 2 4:36 PM
- Seth Smith none-out, two-run Home Run (13) scored Coco Crisp.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 2 4:20 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 4:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21