Gose, Blue Jays pound Red SoxSep 9, 2012 - 7:28 AM
"His contact point has gotten to a much better place on the front edge of the plate," Toronto manager John Farrell said of Gose. "He turns on a good fastball and he shows you the power that's in there."
Yunel Escobar also hit a home run, his ninth of the season. His leadoff homer started a five-run inning for the Blue Jays.
Brad Lincoln (1-0) came in to pitch when play resumed after rain delayed the game in the fifth inning. Starter Aaron Laffey pitched effectively through 4 2/3 innings, allowing just four hits and two runs.
Daisuke Matsuzaka (1-5) was charged with the loss, lasting just 1 1/3 innings, getting rocked for five runs on five hits before being relieved.
"It's tiring," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said. "Guys are tired of playing from behind, I'll guarantee you that. The bullpen is tired of just eating up innings. It's tough."
Pedro Ciriaco and Scott Podsednik drove in runs in the Red Sox third consecutive loss.
Following Escobar's homer in the second, Kelly Johnson singled to center field. J.P. Arencibia was then hit by a pitch and Adeiny Hechavarria doubled on a ground ball to left to score Johnson from second. Gose then came to the plate and drove in two with a single to center. Gose then stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by Ryan Lavarnway before scoring on a Rajai Davis sacrifice fly to cap a five-run inning for Toronto.
The Red Sox got two runs back in the bottom of the fifth after Lavarnway started the inning with a walk. He would come around to score after back-to- back singles from Mike Aviles and Podsednik. Ciriaco came to the plate two batters later and delivered a base hit to score Aviles to make it a 5-2 ball game.
The Blue Jays added four insurance runs in the final two innings.
After back-to-back base hits by Colby Rasmus and Edwin Encarnacion to start the eighth, Adam Lind followed suit with an RBI single to score Rasmus.
Gose hit a three-run homer in the top of the ninth after Arencibia and Hechavarria both reached base.
The Red Sox are a season-high 14 games under .500 ... Podsednik has hit safely in 15 of his 16 starts in Boston this year ... The Blue Jays were 4-for-6 with runners in scoring position ... the Red Sox were just 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
- TORONTO: 9
Sep 9 12:11 AM
- Anthony Gose with none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored J.P. Arencibia and Adeiny Hechavarria. Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 9, Red Sox 2 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 8 11:55 PM
- Adam Lind single to right scored Colby Rasmus with none out. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 6, Red Sox 2 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 8 11:31 PM
- Pedro Ciriaco single to center scored Mike Aviles with two outs. Runner on first and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 8 9:46 PM
- Scott Podsednik single to left scored Ryan Lavarnway with none out. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jose Iglesias due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 8 9:43 PM
- Rajai Davis sacrifice fly out to center scored Anthony Gose with one out. None on and Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 8 7:43 PM
- Anthony Gose single to center scored J.P. Arencibia and Adeiny Hechavarria with none out. Runner on first and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 4, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 8 7:39 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria double to left scored Kelly Johnson with none out. On the play, J.P. Arencibia advances to third. Runners on second and third and Anthony Gose due up.
Blue Jays 2, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 8 7:37 PM
- Yunel Escobar lead-off Home Run (9) to left. Kelly Johnson due up.
Blue Jays 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 8 7:30 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21