Buehrle strong as Marlins rip CubsApr 19, 2012 - 6:06 AM
Buehrle (1-2) allowed one run on six hits, did not issue a walk, struck out five and added an RBI single for the Marlins, who have won a season-high three straight, including the first two of this three-game series.
"Everything was working for me tonight," said Buehrle. "It seems like a few times I got pitches up but I was able to get away with it. I felt really good out there."
Murphy finished with three RBI and Gaby Sanchez went 3-for-5 with an RBI double.
Matt Garza (1-1) allowed six runs on seven hits over five-plus innings in defeat. Ian Stewart knocked in the lone run for the Cubs, losers of four straight.
"This game is meant for human error," said Garza. "That's what makes it so fun and so frustrating at times."
Garza was in the midst of a career-high five-game winning streak which dated back to last season, but Murphy followed a John Buck walk with a blast to left in the third and Ramirez belted a two-out, two-run homer to left-center in the fifth. It marked Ramirez's fourth home run of the season and his third in as many games.
Sanchez scored Giancarlo Stanton and chased Garza with a double in the sixth. Later in the frame, Buehrle singled off of Lendy Castillo, scoring Sanchez and Jose Reyes added a sac fly, making it 7-0.
Jeff Baker began the seventh with a double, advanced on a wild pitch and scored on Stewart's groundout, but Murphy pushed another across with a sac fly in the bottom half. Reyes then led off the eighth with a triple and crossed the plate on Chris Coghlan's groundout to cap the scoring.
Garza's win streak dated back to August 30 of last season...Buehrle finished 1-for-4 at the plate. Reyes went 2-for-4.
- CHICAGO: 1
Apr 18 9:50 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton singled to left. On the play, Chris Coghlan advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Cubs 1, Marlins 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 18 9:41 PM
- Donnie Murphy sacrifice fly to center scored Chris Coghlan. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Mark Buehrle due up.
Cubs 1, Marlins 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 18 9:25 PM
- Ian Stewart grounded out to first scored Jeff Baker. None on with one out and Geovany Soto due up.
Cubs 1, Marlins 7 Top 7, 1 OutApr 18 9:11 PM
- Jose Reyes sacrifice fly to center scored Donnie Murphy. Runner on first with two outs and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Cubs 0, Marlins 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 18 8:59 PM
- Mark Buehrle singled to right scoring Gaby Sanchez. On the play, Donnie Murphy advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jose Reyes due up.
Cubs 0, Marlins 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 18 8:58 PM
- Lendy Castillo enters the game for the Cubs with a runner on second and none out.
Cubs 0, Marlins 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 18 8:50 PM
- Hanley Ramirez two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left-center scored Emilio Bonifacio. Logan Morrison is due up.
Cubs 0, Marlins 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 18 8:34 PM
- Donnie Murphy none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored John Buck. Mark Buehrle is due up.
Cubs 0, Marlins 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 18 7:50 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21