Marlins sweep CubsApr 20, 2012 - 7:05 AM
Hanley Ramirez collected two hits and scored two runs for the Marlins, who have won four games in a row.
Miami starter Ricky Nolasco (2-0) pitched in and out of trouble while allowing three runs on eight hits and three walks in 5 1/3 innings. Heath Bell, the fifth reliever used by the Marlins, struck out two in the ninth to earn his second save of the season.
"We know as long as we just pound the strike zone we have got good enough arms and good enough pitches that we can get people out. Any championship quality team has a good bullpen and we think we do," said Bell.
Darwin Barney drove in all three runs for the Cubs, losers of five straight.
Jeff Samardzija (2-1) gave up five runs on eight hits and walked five in 3 2/3 innings.
"I just felt like I wasn't attacking the zone enough," Samardzija said. "I know they are a pretty aggressive team and we wanted to take advantage of that, but that just kind of went against my normal game plan of being aggressive."
Chicago had not been swept in a three-game series by the Marlins in Florida since September 25-27, 2007.
Miami jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the home first. Emilio Bonifacio walked with one out, stole second and advanced to third on a single by Ramirez before scoring on a broken-bat base hit by Logan Morrison. Ramirez raced to third on Morrison's hit and scored on a slow roller to short by Giancarlo Stanton.
The Cubs had at least two baserunners in each of the first three innings.
Nolasco escaped a jam with runners on the corners in the top of the first, but Chicago loaded the bases in the second and a two-out, opposite-field triple by Barney gave the visitors the lead.
After the Cubs failed to score with the bases loaded in the third, the Marlins moved back in front with a three-spot in the bottom of the inning.
Miami put its first two batters on base, as Ramirez bunted for a single and Morrison walked after Ramirez stole second. Two batters later, Dobbs plated both men with a double down the left-field line. Samardzija retired the next batter and that prompted a two-out intentional walk to Brett Hayes with Nolasco due up next. The right-hander helped his own cause with an RBI single to right.
Ramirez extended his hitting streak against the Cubs to 10 games...Chicago has lost five straight for the first time since July 26-30, 2011...Nolasco was selected by the Cubs in the fourth round of the 2001 draft.
- CHICAGO: 3
Apr 19 3:52 PM
- Ricky Nolasco single to right scored Greg Dobbs with two out. On the play, Brett Hayes advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jose Reyes due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 19 1:55 PM
- Greg Dobbs double to left scored Hanley Ramirez and Logan Morrison with one out. Runner on second and Donnie Murphy due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 19 1:51 PM
- Darwin Barney triple to right scored Bryan LaHair, Geovany Soto and David DeJesus with two out. Runner on third and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 2 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 19 1:19 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton grounded out short to first scoring Hanley Ramirez with two out. On the play, Logan Morrison advances to second. Runner on second and Greg Dobbs due up.
Cubs 0, Marlins 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 19 1:01 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 12:43 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21