Reds hand Cubs another lossApr 20, 2012 - 11:24 PM
Homer Bailey (1-2) picked up his first win after allowing four runs -- one earned -- on five hits.
Jay Bruce added two hits and two runs scored for Cincinnati, which earned its 10,000th win in franchise history, joining the Cubs, Giants, Dodgers, Braves and Cardinals as the only other clubs to accomplish the feat.
"That's a lot of wins," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "...That means we've been around for a long time and have done a lot of winning."
The Reds have won two straight since dropping five of their last six.
Chris Volstad (0-2) gave up six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits and two walks for the Cubs, losers of six consecutive contests.
The Reds jumped on Volstad immediately, plating four runs in the top of the first as they batted around for the first time this season. Stubbs reached with a one-out single, stole second and then moved to third when Starlin Castro couldn't field Geovany Soto's throw to second. Joey Votto then singled through the hole on the right side to bring home Stubbs.
Runners were on the corners following Bruce's base hit to right field, and Scott Rolen walked to load the bases. Chris Heisey plated Votto and Bruce with a single up the middle. Rolen then scored on Willie Harris' RBI groundout.
"It put me in a huge hole, it put our team in a big hole to start the game," Volstad said of his struggles in the opening frame.
The Cubs got on the board in the home third with two runs. David DeJesus scored when Heisey dropped Castro's flyball along the warning track in left- center field. Castro came home on Bryan LaHair's single to make it 4-2.
But the Reds answered with two runs in the visitor's fourth on Stubbs' two-run slicing double to right field, which brought home Devin Mesoraco and Zack Cozart.
After Barney grounded out to third, plating Blake DeWitt in the home fifth, Bailey registered an RBI groundout in the top of the sixth to bring home Harris, making it a 7-3 game.
Alfonso Soriano's RBI groundout to shortstop scored LaHair in the home sixth, cutting the Cubs' deficit to 7-4.
Stubbs added an RBI single in the eighth and Todd Frazier tripled to deep center field in the ninth to plate Bruce and account for the final margin.
It's the Cubs first six-game losing streak since an eight-game stretch from May 30-June 7 of last season...Volstad is 0-6 over his last 13 starts and is one of two pitchers -- Minnesota's Nick Blackburn -- with no wins in at least 10 starts since last year's All-Star break...Chicago Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday because of right shoulder fatigue.
- CINCINNATI: 9
Apr 20 5:15 PM
- Pinch-Hhtter Todd Frazier tripled to center scoring Jay Bruce. Runner on third with two outs and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 9, Cubs 4 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 20 5:07 PM
- Drew Stubbs singled to center scoring Devin Mesoraco. On the play, Zack Cozart advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 8, Cubs 4 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 20 4:49 PM
- Alfonso Soriano's groundout from short to first scored Bryan LaHair. None on with one out and Ian Stewart due up.
Reds 7, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 20 4:13 PM
- Homer Bailey's fielder's choice, from second to short scored Willie Harris Devin Mesoraco out at second. Runner on first with one out and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 7, Cubs 3 Top 6, 1 OutApr 20 4:03 PM
- Starlin Castro grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Reds 6, Cubs 3 End 5Apr 20 3:54 PM
- Drew Stubbs doubled to right scoring Devin Mesoraco and Zack Cozart. Runner on second with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 6, Cubs 2 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 20 3:33 PM
- Bryan LaHair singled to right scoring Starlin Castro. Runner on first with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 20 3:24 PM
- Starlin Castro reached second on Chris Heisey's fielding error which scored David DeJesus. Runner on second with two outs and Bryan LaHair due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 20 3:23 PM
- Willie Harris' groundout to first scored Scott Rolen. On the play, Chris Heisey advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 20 2:40 PM
- Chris Heisey singled to center scoring Joey Votto and Jay Bruce. On the play, Scott Rolen advances to third on Marlon Byrd's fielding error. Runners on second and third with one out and Willie Harris due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 20 2:38 PM
- Joey Votto singled to right scoring Drew Stubbs. Runner on first with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 20 2:29 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 2:23 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21