Reds get past Cubs, 4-3Apr 22, 2012 - 11:29 PM
Cueto (2-0) allowed just five hits and two runs overall while walking two and striking out a season-high seven in his 120th major league start. Sean Marshall yielded one run on one hit in the ninth to record his third save of the year.
Joey Votto added two doubles, an RBI and a run scored, while Drew Stubbs, Scott Rolen and Jay Bruce knocked in a run apiece for the Reds, who have won three of four.
Rodrigo Lopez (0-1) took the loss, allowing two unearned runs in 1/3 of an inning in relief of starter Randy Wells, who surrendered two earned runs on six hits and five walks over five innings.
Bryan LaHair knocked in a run and Starlin Castro finished with two hits and two runs scored. The Cubs have lost seven of their last eight.
It was 2-2 when Cincinnati regained the lead in the sixth on some sloppy play from Chicago. Lopez entered in place of Wells and walked Ryan Hanigan to start the inning before consecutive throwing errors by catcher Geovany Soto loaded the bases as Cueto and Zack Cozart each reached base on sacrifice bunt attempts.
"It's really tough," remarked Soto when asked if the weather played a factor in his miscues. "Both teams are out there playing so it's even for both teams. Everybody's cold so it doesn't matter."
Stubbs then plated Hanigan with a fielder's choice to shortstop to restore the lead for the Reds. After Votto struck out, Ryan Ludwick was hit by a pitch to load the bases and Bruce followed with a walk to increase the lead to 4-2.
The Cubs added one more in the ninth as Castro launched a leadoff triple to center field and scored on a ground out from Jeff Baker, but Marshall fanned Ian Stewart to record the final out of the game.
"We did leave a lot out there," said Reds manager Dusty Baker about his club leaving 13 men on base. "I guess that's what you call an ugly win, but we'll take any win we can get."
The Reds tallied two in the third as Stubbs opened the frame with a single before coming around to score on Votto's second double of the game. After moving to third on a ground out, Votto scored on a single to right field from Rolen to push the lead to 2-0.
Chicago tied the game in the fifth, as pinch-hitter Joe Mather was hit by a pitch to start the frame. After Mather moved to third on a ground out, Castro legged out an infield single to put runners on the corners.
Mather then scored on a throwing error from Cueto, whose throw over to Votto deflected off of the first basemen's glove, and Bryan LaHair followed with a single up the middle, plating Castro and knotting the game at 2-2.
The Reds wrapped up a 10-game road trip and will head back to Cincinnati for a three-game set against the Giants beginning on Tuesday...The Cubs will welcome the defending world champions on Monday, opening a three-game set against the Cardinals at Wrigley...The Cubs have not won a home series since taking two-of-three from Milwaukee, September 19-21 of last season...Castro extended his hitting streak to 10 games.
- CINCINNATI: 4
Apr 22 5:33 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jeff Baker ground out short to first scored Starlin Castro. None on with two outs and Ian Stewart due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 22 5:30 PM
- Jay Bruce walk Johnny Cueto scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 22 4:18 PM
- Drew Stubbs ground into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Ryan Hanigan Zack Cozart out at second Johnny Cueto advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 22 4:09 PM
- Bryan LaHair single to center scored Starlin Castro. Runner on first with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 22 4:00 PM
- Starlin Castro advances to second on Johnny Cueto's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Bryan LaHair at the plate.
Reds 2, Cubs 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 22 3:59 PM
- Willie Harris grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Reds 2, Cubs 0 Mid 3Apr 22 3:11 PM
- Ryan Ludwick lined out to center. Runner on second with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 22 3:07 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 2:21 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21