Capuano, Dodgers down CubsMay 5, 2012 - 11:27 PM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Chris Capuano tossed seven scoreless innings and helped his own cause with a two-run double, as the Los Angeles Dodgers posted a 5-1 win over the Chicago Cubs in the middle test of a three-game series at Wrigley Field.
Capuano (4-0) scattered three hits, walked two and struck out seven. The southpaw is off to his best start since going 5-0 for the Brewers in 2007.
"I added a breaking ball in spring training that's been helping me out that I've had a pretty good feel for," Capuano said. "(I have) a cut fastball and working a good two-seamer. It's good having a couple more weapons out there. I have more options to go to."
Matt Kemp, Dee Gordon and Matt Treanor each knocked in a run for Los Angeles, which avoided its first three-game losing streak of the season.
Struggling Chicago right-hander Chris Volstad (0-4) started in place of Matt Garza, who was scratched because of the flu, and surrendered five runs on four hits and three walks in five frames.
Volstad is 0-9 over his last 17 outings.
"It wasn't our day from the beginning," Volstad said.
The Cubs broke up LA's shutout bid in the ninth when a two-out single by Ian Stewart off Jamey Wright plated Starlin Castro.
Chicago looked to grab an early lead, loading the bases in the first inning on an error, a one-out single and a walk. But Capuano escaped the jam by striking out both Alfonso Soriano and Stewart.
Los Angeles capitalized on its bases-loaded opportunity in the second. Treanor lofted a sacrifice fly to right field and Capuano drove Volstad's next pitch to center for a two-run double.
The Dodgers added two runs in the fifth when Treanor led off with a single and moved to second on a sac bunt before scoring on Gordon's double. Gordon then stole third and came home on a Kemp sacrifice fly.
Capuano improved to 9-3 in 15 career games (13 starts) against the Cubs...Volstad last won a game on July 10, 2011...Chicago first baseman Bryan LaHair walked twice to extend his streak of reaching base to 23 games. He went 0-for-2, though, to snap a 10-game hitting streak...Castro had three of the Cubs' five hits -- all singles.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
May 5 3:59 PM
- Ian Stewart singled to left-center scoring Starlin Castro. Runner on first with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Dodgers 5, Cubs 1 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 5 3:58 PM
- Matt Kemp sacrifice fly to center scored Dee Gordon. Runner on first with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 5, Cubs 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 5 2:29 PM
- Dee Gordon doubled to right scoring Matt Treanor. Runner on second with one out and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 4, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 5 2:25 PM
- Chris Capuano doubled to center scoring Bobby Abreu and James Loney. Runner on second with two outs and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 3, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 5 1:43 PM
- Matt Treanor sacrifice fly to right scored Andre Ethier. On the play, Bobby Abreu advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Chris Capuano due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 5 1:42 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 1:07 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22