DeJesus pushes Cubs past Dodgers in extrasMay 7, 2012 - 2:46 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - David DeJesus was tagged out trying to score the winning run in the ninth, but his patience produced the game-winning walk two innings later.
DeJesus walked in the winning run with the bases loaded in the 11th to push the Chicago Cubs past the Los Angeles Dodgers, 4-3, in the finale of a three- game set at Wrigley Field.
Rafael Dolis (2-2) pitched the final two of five scoreless frames for the Cubs bullpen to record the victory.
Jamey Wright (1-2) pitched the 10th without incident but did not record an out in the 11th in defeat, while Javy Guerra blew a save for the third time this season in the ninth. Juan Rivera hit a two-run homer for Los Angeles.
"Everything was there. I just made bad pitches," said Guerra.
DeJesus' patience was rewarded because Wright allowed a double to Darwin Barney to lead off the inning before intentionally walking Welington Castillo and plunking Jeff Samardzija.
"It took almost all 25 guys to do it, let alone the sick guys coming off the bench to do it, so it was a nice little team effort there," said Cubs manager Dave Sveum.
Down by one with one out and runners on first and second in the home ninth, Chicago's Tony Campana slapped a double to right. Ian Stewart easily came home to tie the game, but DeJesus was thrown out trying to score the game-winning run.
Dodgers starter Aaron Harang helped himself with the bases loaded in the second, scoring Adam Kennedy on a fielder's choice to give LA an early edge.
Rivera pushed that advantage to 3-0 an inning later when, with Mark Ellis aboard, he roped a 2-0 changeup over the ivy in left field.
But the Cubs made it 3-2 in the home half on Castro's two-run liner that plated Travis Wood, who had doubled, and DeJesus, who walked.
Harang allowed two runs on seven hits with three walks over six innings... Cubs starter Travis Wood surrendered three runs on three hits and three walks with four strikeouts in six frames...It was Harang's first RBI of the season...Matt Kemp, who pinch-hit for Harang in the seventh, extended his MLB- best consecutive games played streak to 393... Los Angeles returns home to host San Francisco for three games beginning Monday...Chicago continues its homestand Monday, hosting Atlanta for three contests...A 2 hour, 41 minute rain delay preceded the game.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
May 6 8:45 PM
- David DeJesus walk scored Darwin Barney to end the game.
Dodgers 3, Cubs 4 Bot 11, 0 OutsMay 6 8:45 PM
- Rafael Dolis starts the inning for the Cubs.
Dodgers 3, Cubs 3 Top 10, 0 OutsMay 6 8:06 PM
- A.J. Ellis grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 3, Cubs 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 6 6:14 PM
- Juan Rivera one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Mark Ellis. Adam Kennedy due up.
Dodgers 3, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 6 5:54 PM
- Aaron Harang grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Adam Kennedy. Tony Gwynn Jr. out at second, A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 6 5:36 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 5:02 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22