Brewers slam past CubsMay 12, 2012 - 9:22 PM
Shaun Marcum (2-1) fanned six and allowed a run on three hits and two walks over seven strong innings.
"After last night, everyone was a little sluggish," said Marcum of Friday night's 13-inning five-hour marathon -- which Milwaukee won -- that went just past midnight. The team's were back at it again nearly 12 hours later. "I was sent home early last night so I got my rest."
Travis Ishikawa smacked two doubles and scored a pair of runs for Milwaukee, which has won three of its last four contests.
Tony Campana had two hits, including an RBI double for Chicago, which has dropped 10 consecutive games in Milwaukee.
"His breaking ball was hitting the corners on the black and he was keeping us honest," said Chicago's Alfonso Soriano of Marcum's outing.
Chris Volstad (0-5) surrendered just four hits through the first five innings, but was touched for five of them in Milwaukee's five-run sixth.
Jonathan Lucroy doubled to deep right field to start the frame and Ryan Braun followed with a single. Aramis Ramirez grounded out to plate Lucroy before Corey Hart doubled to left field. Ishikawa was intentionally walked to load the bases, bringing up the 30-year-old Maysonet, who was called up from Triple-A Nashville following Alex Gonzalez's season-ending knee injury.
Maysonet cracked an 0-1 sinker into the left-field seats for a 6-1 Brewers advantage. The grand slam was the second round-tripper of his brief MLB career.
"It's a great day for him," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke of Maysonet, who was filling in for Rickie Weeks at second base. Weeks was hit by a pitch on the left wrist in the 13th inning of Friday's tussle. He is day-to-day. "He looked good in the field and had a couple of great at-bats."
Chicago scored a run in the eighth on Campana's RBI double, but Milwaukee responded by plating a pair in its half of the frame. With runners on the corners with one away, Norichika Aoki's suicide squeeze brought home Ishikawa. After Nyjer Morgan walked, Lucroy's single to center field scored Cesar Izturis.
Earlier, Chicago struck first with a run in the top of the first inning. David DeJesus led off the game with a double to left field, moved to third on Campana's bunt single and scored when Starlin Castro grounded into a 5-4-3 double play.
The Brewers tied the contest in their half of the frame in peculiar fashion. In the midst of Hart's at-bat with runners on the corners, Braun was caught reeling off of first on the fake-to-third, throw-to-first pickoff play. While Braun was in a rundown, Morgan took off from third base and crossed home plate without a throw.
Maysonet has played in 51 MLB games, but hadn't appeared in one before this season since 2009. His first career MLB homer came as a member of the Houston Astros in 2009...Volstad has an 18-start winless streak dating back to July 17 of last season. He's lost 10 games during that stretch.
- CHICAGO: 2
May 12 4:05 PM
- Ryan Braun grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy out at second to end the inning.
Cubs 2, Brewers 8 End 8May 12 3:58 PM
- Norichika Aoki sacrifice bunt to the pitcher scored Travis Ishikawa with two out. On the play, Cesar Izturis advances to second. Runner on second and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 12 3:53 PM
- Tony Campana doubled to left scoring Adrian Cardenas with one out. Runner on second and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 6 Top 8, 1 OutMay 12 3:37 PM
- Edwin Maysonet one-out, Grand Slam (1) to left scored Aramis Ramirez, Corey Hart and Travis Ishikawa. Cesar Izturis due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 12 3:06 PM
- Aramis Ramirez grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Jonathan Lucroy with one out. Ryan Braun out at second. Runner on first and Corey Hart due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 12 3:00 PM
- Ryan Braun caught stealing second, pitcher to first to second. During the rundown, Nyjer Morgan scored. Braun caught stealing to end the inning.
Cubs 1, Brewers 1 End 1May 12 1:28 PM
- Starlin Castro grounded into a double play, third to second to first scoring David DeJesus with two out. Tony Campana out at second. None on and Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 12 1:12 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 1:06 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21