Cubs down Brewers, 8-2May 13, 2012 - 10:30 PM
Shawn Camp (1-1) earned the victory despite allowing a run on two hits and a walk after he entered in the sixth in place of starter Jeff Samardzija, who gave up one run on three hits and two walks while fanning six.
Tony Campana had three hits and an RBI, while Starlin Castro and Alfonso Soriano both knocked in a run as the Cubs snapped a 10-game losing streak in Milwaukee dating back to April 9, 2011.
"They kind of had our number here at Miller Park," remarked Samardzija. "I wanted to set the tone early and get us in the dugout so our hitters could get out there."
Kameron Loe (2-1) suffered the loss after giving up an unearned run in the seventh. Starter Marco Estrada yielded two runs on five hits over his six innings on the bump and Taylor Green knocked in two runs as the Brewers dropped to 5-2 against the Cubs this season.
The game was tied 2-2 in the seventh when Stewart crushed a ground-rule double with one out and came around to score two batters later when Darwin Barney reached on an error from shortstop Edwin Maysonet, whose throw to first was over the head of Green, giving Chicago a 3-2 lead.
"I don't think he was too quick with his throw," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke about Maysonet's error. "He's got a strong arm. It's part of the game that's difficult when you don't play everyday."
Chicago added some insurance in the eighth as Campana smacked a one-out single and moved to second on a ground out. Campana then swiped third and after Bryan LaHair walked, he crossed home when Manny Parra uncorked a wild pitch.
Soriano then plated LaHair with a double into deep center field, giving Chicago a 5-2 cushion.
The Cubs blew the game open in the ninth as Geovany Soto ripped a leadoff double and Barney quickly plated him with a double of his own before Campana and Castro both smacked RBI singles to give the Cubs an 8-2 advantage.
Earlier, Milwaukee got on the board in the fourth after Ryan Braun worked a leadoff walk and Aramis Ramirez followed with a single. Corey Hart then bunted both runners over, and Green lifted a sacrifice fly into right for a 1-0 lead.
The Cubs tied the game in their next at-bat when Stewart belted a solo shot over the wall in right and then jumped in front in the sixth via the long ball as Johnson launched a pinch-hit leadoff homer into left-center field to give Chicago a 2-1 edge.
The Brewers responded with two outs in the sixth after Ramirez worked a walk and Hart followed with a double into left field. Green then slapped one deep in the hole to the shortstop Castro, whose throw to first was a split-second late as Green dove head first into first to beat the throw and Ramirez crossed home plate to tie the game at 2-2.
LaHair extended his streak of reaching base safely to 30 games with a walk in the top of the eighth. It's the longest such streak for a Cub since Derrek Lee's 30-game run from May 16-June 23, 2009...Johnson's homer was the 4th pinch-hit homer of his career and first this year.
- CHICAGO: 8
May 13 5:29 PM
- Starlin Castro single to left scored David DeJesus with one out. On the play, Tony Campana advances to second. Runners on first and second and Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 8, Brewers 2 Top 9, 1 OutMay 13 5:12 PM
- Tony Campana single to right scored Darwin Barney with one out. On the play, David DeJesus advances to second. Runners on first and second and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 7, Brewers 2 Top 9, 1 OutMay 13 5:11 PM
- Darwin Barney double to right scored Geovany Soto with none out. Runner on second and Joe Mather due up.
Cubs 6, Brewers 2 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 13 5:05 PM
- Alfonso Soriano advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with two outs and Ian Stewart at the plate.
Cubs 5, Brewers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 13 4:47 PM
- Tony Campana scores on a wild pitch with two outs. Bryan LaHair advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Alfonso Soriano at the plate.
Cubs 4, Brewers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 13 4:46 PM
- Darwin Barney reached first on Edwin Maysonet's throwing error scored Ian Stewart with two outs. Runner on first and Shawn Camp due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 13 4:17 PM
- Taylor Green single to short scored Aramis Ramirez with two outs. On the play, Corey Hart advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brooks Conrad due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 13 4:06 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Reed Johnson lead-off Home Run (1) to left. David DeJesus due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 13 3:42 PM
- Ian Stewart one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Geovany Soto due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 1 Top 5, 1 OutMay 13 3:24 PM
- Taylor Green sacrifice fly out to right scored Ryan Braun with two outs. Runner on second and Brooks Conrad due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 13 3:17 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 2:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21