Molina's single lifts Cards in ninthMay 16, 2012 - 12:30 AM
After Alfonso Soriano had tied the game in the top of the ninth with a solo homer, Matt Holliday led off the home half with a single off of Rafael Dolis (2-3). Three batters later, Molina sliced a slow grounder into the hole, off the glove of second baseman Darwin Barney and into right.
"I thought I was going to get there," Barney said. "I was pretty close on Holliday's ball too. It's unfortunate."
Holliday, who had moved to second on a David Freese groundout, raced home to snap St. Louis' four-game losing streak and prevented the club from going winless on a homestand of four or more games for the first time since 1983. Jason Motte (2-1) pitched the ninth to get the victory.
Chicago got out to an early start, plating three runs in the top of the first on an RBI single by Starlin Castro, a groundout by Bryan LaHair and an Ian Stewart double.
The Cardinals answered in the following two frames, scoring twice in the home first on a run-scoring double by Allen Craig and a groundout by David Freese.
"Some days you're fighting so much it just seems like the whole game is uphill. You could tell, that first inning, those two runs were big," said St. Louis manager Mike Matheny.
Rafael Furcal brought home Tyler Greene in the second with a ground ball after Greene doubled and moved to third on Kyle Lohse's bunt.
Holliday ripped a two-out blast in the fifth to give St. Louis a brief lead, but the Cubs replied in next half-inning, when LaHair continued his early- season power surge with his tenth homer of the season. Pinch-hitter Reed Johnson made it 5-4 in favor of the visitors in the seventh when he singled home Barney.
But Craig tied the game once more in the home seventh with an RBI base hit, and Matt Carpenter pushed the Cardinals in front again with a rocket over the fence in right-center in the eighth.
Lohse allowed five runs on nine hits with five strikeouts over 6 2/3 frames...Cubs starter Paul Maholm also fanned five while surrendering four runs on seven hits and three walks in six innings...St. Louis placed outfielder Jon Jay on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right shoulder and recalled outfielder Shane Robinson from Tripla-A Memphis before the game...LaHair has reached base safely in a team-high 32 straight games.
- CHICAGO: 6
ST. LOUIS: 7
May 15 4:35 PM
- Yadier Molina singled to right scoring Matt Holliday with two out to end the game.
Cubs 6, Cardinals 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 15 4:35 PM
- Alfonso Soriano lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Ian Stewart due up.
Cubs 6, Cardinals 6 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 15 4:17 PM
- Matt Carpenter one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right center. Tyler Greene due up.
Cubs 5, Cardinals 6 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 15 4:05 PM
- Allen Craig singled to right scoring Rafael Furcal with one out. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to third. Runners on first and third and David Freese due up.
Cubs 5, Cardinals 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 15 3:54 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Reed Johnson singled to center scoring Darwin Barney with two out. On the play, Reed Johnson advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second and David DeJesus due up.
Cubs 5, Cardinals 4 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 15 3:38 PM
- Bryan LaHair two-out, solo Home Run (10) to center. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 4 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 15 3:21 PM
- Matt Holliday two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left center. Allen Craig due up.
Cubs 3, Cardinals 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 15 3:07 PM
- Skip Schumaker struck out swinging to end the inning.
Cubs 3, Cardinals 3 End 2May 15 2:23 PM
- David Freese grounded out second to first scoring Matt Holliday with two out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to third. Runner on third and Yadier Molina due up.
Cubs 3, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 15 2:06 PM
- Allen Craig doubled to right scoring Skip Schumaker with one out. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to third. Runners on second and third and David Freese due up.
Cubs 3, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 15 2:05 PM
- Ian Stewart doubled to center scoring Alfonso Soriano with two out. Runner on second and Welington Castillo due up.
Cubs 3, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 15 1:54 PM
- Bryan LaHair grounded into a double play, first to short scoring Tony Campana with two out. On the play, Starlin Castro tagged out at second. None on and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 2, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 15 1:52 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to center scoring David DeJesus with none out. On the play, Tony Campana advances to third. Runners on first and third and Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 15 1:49 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 1:45 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21