Norris leads Astros over CubsMay 22, 2012 - 5:28 AM
Norris (5-1) gave up five hits and walked three while fanning eight.
Chris Johnson and Jason Castro each had three-run homers while Jed Lowrie recorded three hits, including a solo blast as Houston picked up its fourth win in six tries.
Blake Lalli drove in two runs while Reed Johnson and David DeJesus each had RBI singles in the ninth for the Cubs, losers in seven straight.
Matt Garza (2-2) lasted just three innings, and gave up seven runs on five hits.
"That was not Matt Garza pitching. It was strange," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "That's not the Matt Garza I've seen."
Houston took a 3-0 lead in the second following Castro's three-run blast. Johnson singled and J.D. Martinez walked to set the table for Castro's first home run of the season.
The Astros came right back in the third and added four more to go up 7-0. Lowrie singled, stole second then moved to third when Koyie Hill's throw to second sailed into center field. Carlos Lee followed with a single to plate Lowrie. Bogusevic walked to put runners on first and second for Johnson who drove a 2-1 fastball into the right-field stands.
A Lowrie homer in the seventh made it 8-0.
"The guys coming out and scoring some runs is huge," said Norris. "To get some support always makes it a little bit easier to just kind of compete and throw strikes."
Chicago added four in the ninth to avoid the shutout. Adrian Cardenas opened the frame with a ground-rule double down the line in left and moved to third when Hill singled through the hole at second. Johnson, who entered the game as a pinch-hitter, then singled to center to plate Cardenas and move Hill to third. De Jesus followed with a single that scored Cardenas, and a Lalli single scored Hill and DeJesus.
But Wilton Lopez was able to stop the bleeding and got Joe Mather to fly out to end the game.
Lowrie extended his hitting streak to six games....Norris is 4-0 in the month of May...The Astros are 8-1 when Norris stars...Lalli's single in the ninth was the first of his career...The Cubs finished the game 4-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left 10 on base.
- CHICAGO: 4
May 21 11:15 PM
- Blake Lalli single to right scored Reed Johnson and David DeJesus with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Joe Mather due up.
Cubs 4, Astros 8 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 21 11:14 PM
- David DeJesus single to right center scored Koyie Hill with none out. On the play, Reed Johnson advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Tony Campana due up.
Cubs 2, Astros 8 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 21 11:08 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Reed Johnson single to center scored Adrian Cardenas with none out. On the play, Koyie Hill advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and David DeJesus due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 8 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 21 11:02 PM
- Jed Lowrie two-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Travis Buck due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 21 10:32 PM
- Alfonso Soriano grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Ian Stewart due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 7 Top 4, 1 OutMay 21 9:27 PM
- Carlos Lee single to left scored Jed Lowrie with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 21 9:16 PM
- Jason Castro two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Chris Johnson and J.D. Martinez. Bud Norris due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 21 8:51 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 21 8:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21