Greinke turns up heat, Brewers pound CubsJun 7, 2012 - 3:59 AM
Greinke (7-2) allowed only two hits and a pair of walks to win for the fourth time in five starts.
"He was a little off in that one inning, but he had great command of the fastball and cutter, it was all working for him today," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "He has great confidence whenever he takes the mound here, and knows he'll throw the ball well. Whenever he feels like that, it means he throws all his pitches with confidence."
Brooks Conrad drove in two, while Norichika Aoki finished 3-for-4 with two doubles and two runs scored for the Brewers, who had dropped three of four, including Tuesday's series opener.
Paul Maholm (4-5) was dented for six hits and four runs over just four full frames for the Cubs, who have lost five of their last six.
The Brewers finally dented Maholm in the fourth, scoring four times on RBI doubles from Ryan Braun and Cody Ransom followed by a two-run hit from Conrad.
"With Braun I went to the well too many times. I went from cruising to battling, to missing some pitches, and that's when they really put the ball in play," lamented Maholm. "I didn't want to come out that early."
In the home fifth, Aoki doubled and moved to third when Cubs right fielder David DeJesus committed a fielding gaffe. He scored three batters later on a Corey Hart fly to right for a 5-0 game.
Milwaukee erased all doubt for a Chicago comeback in its final at-bat against Carlos Marmol. Edwin Maysonet and Martin Maldonado singled then Green launched a pinch-hit, three-run blast -- the first round-tripper in his career.
"It was a pretty incredible thing. I'd been waiting for a little while to get it. The guys had been getting on me a bit," Greene admitted.
Meanwhile, Greinke allowed a leadoff double to Alfonso Soriano in the second and a double to Starlin Castro in the next frame.
The Chicago second saw the bases loaded with two outs, but Maholm fanned looking to end the threat. The Cubs went down in order in the first, fourth, sixth and seventh innings against the Milwaukee starter.
Jose Veras and Juan Perez finished off the shutout with consecutive scoreless frames.
Greinke extended his streak at Miller Park to 15 straight positive decisions...Wednesday also marked the 16th time in Greinke's career he has fanned at least 10 batters in one start...Prior to the game, the Cubs selected the contract of pitcher Manny Corpas and placed pitcher Blake Parker on the 60-day disabled list.
- CHICAGO: 0
Jun 6 10:55 PM
- Carlos Gomez flied out to center to end the inning.
Cubs 0, Brewers 8 End 8Jun 6 10:48 PM
- Rickie Weeks flied out to right to end the inning.
Cubs 0, Brewers 5 End 5Jun 6 9:51 PM
- Brooks Conrad singled to left scoring Corey Hart and Cody Ransom with two out. On the play, Brooks Conrad advanced to second on Alfonso Soriano's throwing error. Runner on second and Martin Maldonado due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 6 9:29 PM
- Cody Ransom doubled to left scoring Ryan Braun with two out. On the play, Corey Hart advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brooks Conrad due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 6 9:25 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to left scoring Norichika Aoki with one out. Runner on second and Corey Hart due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 6 9:19 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21