Diamond shines in Twins' blowout winJun 9, 2012 - 9:56 PM
The 25-year-old rookie tossed six shutout innings Saturday, while Joe Mauer returned from a four-game absence and smacked three hits to go with a pair of RBI and a run scored as the Twins routed the Chicago Cubs, 11-3, in the second installment of a three-game interleague series.
Diamond (5-1) fanned five and surrendered seven hits for a Minnesota staff which had a 6.11 ERA coming in. The Canadian-born hurler lowered his ERA to a minuscule 1.61.
Trevor Plouffe had a solo homer, a two-run double and an RBI groundout for the surging Twins, who have won nine of their last 11 contests.
"This locker room is really positive even after a loss," Diamond said. "We're staying really positive and supporting each other the best we can."
Jeff Samardzija (5-4) allowed eight runs on nine hits and a walk in 3 2/3 innings for the Cubs, who have dropped eight of their last nine.
"Losing, you can only take so much of it," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum. "Now it's just getting a little bit out of hand."
The Twins put across two runs in the second frame, six in the fourth, one in the fifth and two more in the sixth to jump out to an 11-0 lead.
Plouffe's groundout and Brian Dozier's RBI single gave the Twins a quick 2-0 edge in the second.
Minnesota registered seven hits in the six-run fourth. Plouffe smacked a two- run double, while Ryan Doumit, Denard Span and Mauer each added RBI doubles in the frame. Ben Revere beat out an infield single to account for the other tally.
Plouffe belted a solo shot into the bullpen in left-center to make it 9-0 in the fifth while Mauer and Josh Willingham registered a pair of RBI base hits in the sixth for an 11-0 advantage.
The Cubs finally got on the scoreboard in the seventh inning on Reed Johnson's RBI groundout and added two more in the eighth as Alfonso Soriano cracked a two-run homer to left.
The Cubs fell to 2-13 against left-handed starters this season, the worst mark in the majors...Willingham extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Chicago was 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- CHICAGO: 3
Jun 9 5:13 PM
- Alfonso Soriano none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Koyie Hill. Jeff Baker due up.
Cubs 3, Twins 11 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 9 4:53 PM
- Adrian Cardenas is pinch-hitting for Starlin Castro.
Cubs 1, Twins 11 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 9 4:39 PM
- Justin Morneau walked. Bases loaded with one out and Ryan Doumit due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 11 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 9 4:24 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to right scoring Denard Span with one out. On the play, Ben Revere advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Willingham due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 10 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 9 4:21 PM
- Trevor Plouffe two-out, solo Home Run (9) to left center. Brian Dozier due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 9 3:57 PM
- Joe Mauer doubled to left scoring Denard Span with two out. On the play, Ben Revere advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Willingham due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 9 3:39 PM
- Ben Revere reached first on an infield single to second scoring Jamey Carroll with two out. On the play, Denard Span advances to third. Runners on first and third and Joe Mauer due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 9 3:34 PM
- Denard Span doubled to right scoring Trevor Plouffe with two out. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ben Revere due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 9 3:32 PM
- Trevor Plouffe ground-rule double to center scored Justin Morneau and Ryan Doumit with one out. Runner on second and Brian Dozier due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 9 3:26 PM
- Ryan Doumit doubled to right scoring Joe Mauer with one out. On the play, Justin Morneau advances to third. Runners on second and third and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 9 3:25 PM
- Brian Dozier singled to right scoring Justin Morneau with two out. Runner on first and Jamey Carroll due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 9 2:42 PM
- Trevor Plouffe grounded out third to first scoring Josh Willingham with two out. Runner on second and Brian Dozier due up.
Cubs 0, Twins 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 9 2:41 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 9 2:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22