Wood, Cubs down MetsJun 26, 2012 - 5:33 AM
Wood (2-3) gave up five hits and a walk with six strikeouts to win his second straight start for the Cubs, who snapped a four-game losing streak. Joe Mather hit a two-run home run in the win.
"The life on his fastball was about as good as we've all seen it," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "He was beating guys that are good fastball hitters. He was beating them all night."
Johan Santana (5-4) gave up two runs on five hits with three walks and six strikeouts over six innings for the Mets, who have lost three straight.
The game stayed scoreless until the fourth inning when the Cubs went on top. With two outs, Geovany Soto kept the inning alive with a walk and Mather followed with his fourth home run of the season.
The seventh inning saw the Cubs take advantage of three New York errors. Adrian Cardenas started the inning with a pop up in front of the catcher. David Wright came in to make the play, but fumbled the catch and Cardenas made it to third. After Reed Johnson struck out, Darwin Barney followed with a short fly to right field that saw three Mets converge on the ball. Lucas Duda tried to make the catch, but it hit off his leg and Barney reached third base as Cardenas scored.
"Lucas Duda has done his absolute best and once in a while because he's not a right fielder, you're going to have a hiccup," Collins said of Duda's error.
Next up was Starlin Castro, who hit a chopper to second and the ball hit off the glove of Ronny Cedeno and went into the outfield, scoring Barney. After Alfonso Soriano walked, Ramon Ramirez took the mound and gave up a run-scoring single to Jeff Baker followed by Soto's RBI groundout for a 6-0 lead.
Ike Davis broke up the shutout bid in the ninth with two outs when he clubbed his ninth homer of the year off of James Russell.
Chicago took four of six from New York last season...The Mets went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left seven on base...Wood is 1-0 in two games against the Mets...Santana fell to 3-1 in seven games against the Cubs.
- NEW YORK: 1
Jun 25 10:48 PM
- Ike Davis two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right center. Mike Nickeas due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 25 10:47 PM
- Geovany Soto groundout to third scored Alfonso Soriano with two out. On the play, Jeff Baker advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Joe Mather due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 25 10:21 PM
- Jeff Baker single to right scored Starlin Castro with one out. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Geovany Soto due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 25 10:19 PM
- Ronny Cedeno fielding error scored Darwin Barney with one out. Runner on first with one out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 25 10:13 PM
- Lucas Duda fielding error scored Adrian Cardenas with one out. Runner on third with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 25 10:10 PM
- Joe Mather two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left center scored Geovany Soto. Luis Valbuena due up.
Mets 0, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 25 9:10 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 8:07 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21