Jones lifts Pirates over CubsJul 25, 2012 - 9:55 PM
Michael McKenry and Neil Walker added solo homers for the Pirates, who went 4-2 on a six-game homestand.
Kevin Correia (8-6) gave up two runs on four hits over six innings to win his sixth straight decision. He struck out four and walked two.
"I'm out there to try to get wins, and that's about it," Correia said. "At this point in my career, I'm not terribly concerned with my ERA. I want to go out there and I want to win games for the team. However that has to happen, I'm happy to get it done that way."
Anthony Rizzo hit a solo homer and knocked in both of Chicago's runs. Ryan Dempster (5-5), a hot topic of trade rumors, allowed three runs on five hits over six innings to take the loss.
Reports surfaced Monday that Dempster was en route to Atlanta, but no official deal has been worked out. Because he's a 10-year veteran and has five years of service with the Cubs, he can refuse any deal and reportedly his preference is to be dealt to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
"I had a job to do today and that's really important to me so I had to try to separate the two things," Dempster said. "I have tonight and an off-day [Thursday] to look at a couple different things and see what the possibilities are."
The score was 1-1 after Rizzo and Walker homered in the first inning.
Chicago tacked on another run in the third. With one out, David DeJesus hit a deep fly ball to center field. It was ruled a ground-rule double due to fan interference. Rizzo knocked in DeJesus with a two-out single to right-center field.
Dempster retired 13 straight batters before giving up a two-out homer to McKenry in the fifth, which made it a 2-2 game. McKenry's blast hit off the left-field foul pole.
The Pirates then took the lead during their next at-bat. Alex Presley and Andrew McCutchen singled to put men on the corners with two outs. Jones followed with an RBI double to right.
Jared Hughes, Jason Grilli and Joel Hanrahan each tossed a scoreless inning of relief to seal the victory.
The Pirates lead the season series by a 4-2 margin...Correia improved to 4-4 in 14 career appearances against the Cubs...Chicago went 2-4 on a six-game road trip...Hanrahan picked up his 29th save of the season.
- CHICAGO: 2
Jul 25 3:08 PM
- Garrett Jones doubled to right scoring Alex Presley. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Cubs 2, Pirates 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 25 2:21 PM
- Michael McKenry two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Clint Barmes due up.
Cubs 2, Pirates 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 25 1:56 PM
- Anthony Rizzo singled to center scoring David DeJesus. Runner on first with two outs and Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 2, Pirates 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 25 1:21 PM
- Andrew McCutchen struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Cubs 1, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 25 12:49 PM
- Anthony Rizzo two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 25 12:39 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 12:36 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21