DeJesus powers Cubs to series winAug 15, 2012 - 11:53 PM
DeJesus finished with three RBI, while Starlin Castro added three hits, including a two-run shot, to help the Cubs wrap up a seven-game homestand at 3-4.
Justin Germano (2-2) allowed two runs on five hits and one walk over 6 1/3 innings with six strikeouts to earn the victory.
Jose Altuve registered three hits and Scott Moore crushed a solo homer and scored both runs for the Astros, who lost for the third time in their last four games.
Bud Norris (5-10) was saddled with the loss after giving up six runs on eight hits and three walks before a grounder back to the mound struck him in the left foot and forced him from the game with one out in the fourth.
Houston struck first in the top of the second as Moore belted a leadoff homer into the bleachers in left-center field to give the Astros a 1-0 lead.
The Cubs responded in the bottom half of the frame when Castro singled, moved to second on a groundout and then found third on Norris' wild pitch.
Brett Jackson followed with his first career triple into the gap in right- center field and Castro trotted home to knot the game at 1-1 before Chicago tacked on three runs in the third on a pair of home runs to take control.
DeJesus got things started with a leadoff blast over the wall in right to give the Cubs a 2-1 lead.
Norris retired the next two batters, but issued a walk to Alfonso Soriano before Castro launched a two-run shot into left-center field, extending Chicago's lead to 4-1.
"Starlin is a guy who goes up there and is ready to hit all the time," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "Some day if he learns to really get a good pitch to hit consistently all the time, you'll see a lot more consistency."
In the fourth, Germano worked a one-out walk and DeJesus followed with his second homer of the day into straightaway center field as the Cubs grabbed a 6-1 lead.
Josh Vitters' infield hit off Norris forced the right-hander from the game as he was replaced by Chuckie Fick.
"It really squared up my foot pretty good," Norris said. "It was a ringing sensation in my foot. I just tried to let it calm down, but I knew my landing foot wasn't going to be pretty. I'm just glad I came out because I didn't want to hurt any worse than it was."
Jackson led off the sixth with a double, moved to third on Germano's bunt and scored three batters later on a passed ball charged to Jason Castro, pressing the margin to 7-1.
Moore then scored his second run of the game in the seventh, but the Astros would get no closer as Shawn Camp and Carlos Marmol held the Astros scoreless over the eighth and ninth innings, respectively.
Norris is 0-9 in 13 starts since his last win on May 21 against the Cubs. The Astros are 1-12 in his last 13 starts ... Chicago went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base ... Houston failed on its two attempts with men in scoring position and stranded four.
- HOUSTON: 2
Aug 15 5:26 PM
- Starlin Castro advances to third on a passed ball. Runner on third with one out and Luis Valbuena at the plate.
Astros 2, Cubs 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 15 4:49 PM
- Brett Jackson scored on a passed ball with two out. David DeJesus advances to second on a passed ball. Steve Clevenger advances to third on a passed ball. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Anthony Rizzo at the plate.
Astros 1, Cubs 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 15 4:26 PM
- Josh Vitters infield single to third, deflected off pitcher. Runner on first with one out and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 6 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 15 3:41 PM
- Luis Valbuena doubled to right. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Jackson due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 15 3:22 PM
- David DeJesus lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Josh Vitters due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 15 3:12 PM
- Brett Jackson tripled to right center scored Starlin Castro with two out. Runner on third and Steve Clevenger due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 15 2:57 PM
- Ben Francisco flied out to left. None on with one out and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 15 2:45 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 2:23 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21