Volstad finally gets win as Cubs top RockiesAug 27, 2012 - 1:35 AM
Following the lengthy rain delay, Volstad took the mound and earned his first victory since July 10, 2011, leading the Chicago Cubs to a 5-0 win in a rain- shortened rubber match against the Colorado Rockies.
"It's only fitting that the day took pretty long," Volstad said.
Volstad (1-9) tossed 6 2/3 scoreless innings, holding the Rockies to three hits and three walks to snap a string of 24 consecutive winless outings.
Darwin Barney knocked in two runs for the Cubs, who have won two of three on the heels of a four-game losing streak.
Jhoulys Chacin (1-4), in his second start after returning from a three-month stint on the disabled list with a pectoral injury, was a hard-luck loser. The right-hander allowed one run on five hits in five innings.
The Cubs took the lead in the second inning. Starlin Castro crushed a long triple to right-center field. After Brett Jackson walked, Barney grounded into a fielder's choice to score Castro and put the Cubs ahead, 1-0.
Castro worked a leadoff walk in the sixth and moved to third on a pair of groundouts. Barney blooped a single into shallow center field to double the Cubs lead.
Meanwhile, Volstad crusied. He faced the minimum through three innings and did not allow a runner to reach scoring position until Tyler Colvin grounded a two-out double down the third-base line.
Following the double, Volstad walked Chris Nelson to end his day, but Manuel Corpas retired Jonathan Herrera to end the threat.
The Rockies put together a threat in the eighth inning against Shawn Camp. DJ LeMahieu delivered a two-out double and Jordan Pacheco sent a Shawn Camp slider to the warning track, but Jackson made the catch and held the Rockies scoreless.
Chicago added insurance runs in the ninth on pinch-hitter Joe Mather's sacrifice fly and Will Harris' wild pitch, which scored Jackson, and David DeJesus' RBI single.
During the eighth inning, the rain resumed and the game was called after the completion of the frame. Camp was awarded his second save of the year for his work in the eighth inning and Volstad picked up the win.
"We didn't hit today," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said. "You certainly would have liked to have those baserunners and force Chris to pitch out of the stretch a little more often than he did."
Volstad had gone 0-14 with a 5.54 earned run average since his last win ... Volstad's 24-start winless streak is the sixth-longest in the Live Ball Era ... At 6-8, Volstad became the tallest Cub to ever win a game ... Jo-Jo Reyes won on May 30, 2011 to end a 27-game winless streak that began in 2008. In that span, he pitched for the Atlanta Braves and Toronto Blue Jays ... The Rockies went 0-for-2 with runners in scoring position and left six on base.
- COLORADO: 0
Aug 26 7:52 PM
- David DeJesus single to left scored Darwin Barney. Runner on first with two out and Luis Valbuena due up.
Rockies 0, Cubs 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 26 7:14 PM
- Darwin Barney advances to third on a wild pitch. Brett Jackson scored on a wild pitch. Runner on third with two out and David DeJesus at the plate.
Rockies 0, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 26 7:14 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Joe Mather sacrifice fly to left scored Starlin Castro. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to second and Brett Jackson advances to third on Carlos Gonzalez's throwing error. Runners on second and third with two out and David DeJesus due up.
Rockies 0, Cubs 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 26 7:13 PM
- Darwin Barney single to center scored Starlin Castro. Runner on first with two out and Chris Volstad due up.
Rockies 0, Cubs 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 26 6:25 PM
- Darwin Barney ground into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Starlin Castro. Brett Jackson out at second on a force. Runner on first with two out and Chris Volstad due up.
Rockies 0, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 26 5:10 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 4:44 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21