Brewers bash 3 HRs in 9th, rout CubsAug 28, 2012 - 6:06 AM
Braun went 4-for-6 with a home run, three runs scored and five RBI, while Ramirez homered twice and drove in four in the Brewers' sixth win in seven games. Carlos Gomez had four of the club's 21 hits, including a solo homer.
"Obviously in the ninth it got out of hand, but it was a really close game and a tightly contested game up until that point," Braun said.
Marco Estrada (2-5) earned a second straight victory after allowing three unearned runs on six hits and three walks in a five-inning start.
Justin Germano (2-4) surrendered five runs on 10 hits over five-plus innings to take the loss. Brett Jackson's solo homer highlighted Chicago's offense.
The Cubs, who were coming off a series win over the Rockies, were within two runs, 6-4, before Alex Hinshaw's forgettable outing in the ninth.
The reliever walked Norichika Aoki to start the inning and gave up a single to Rickie Weeks in front of Braun, who launched his 35th home run of the season onto Waveland Avenue.
Ramirez followed with his first multi-home run game with the Brewers, and Hart ended Hinshaw's night by hammering a pitch into the last row of seats in left- center.
Lendy Castillo was just as ineffective in relief as he gave up four more runs, one coming on an RBI single by Braun.
"Those guys have to somehow get through those innings," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of his bullpen. "Obviously they didn't accomplish that."
Castillo's effort was bad enough for Sveum to bring in utilityman Joe Mather to pitch. Mather allowed a pinch-hit RBI single to Jeff Bianchi before retiring pinch-hitter Martin Maldonado for the final out.
Ramirez gave the Brewers an early lead when his NL-leading 43rd double knocked in Braun in the first inning.
The Cubs responded with three two-out, run-scoring hits in the fifth. Anthony Rizzo blooped one off Ramirez's glove to plate David DeJesus and scored on a double by Alfonso Soriano, who crossed home on Starlin Castro's base hit.
Braun and Ramirez were at it again in the fifth, with the former hitting an RBI double down the left-field line and the latter crushing a two-run homer to left-center for a 4-3 lead.
Aoki tacked on an RBI single in the sixth and kept the Brewers in front with a sliding grab in right field to strand a pair in the seventh.
Jackson and Gomez traded solo shots in the sixth and eighth, respectively.
The top four hitters in Milwaukee's lineup -- Aoki, Weeks, Braun and Ramirez -- combined for 12 hits, nine runs and 10 RBI ... Ramirez played eight-plus years for the Cubs before signing with the Brewers in the offseason ... Chicago struck out 15 times, eight against Estrada ... The last Cubs position player to pitch was Gary Gaetti on July 3, 1999 against the Phillies ... The Brewers swept last week's series with the Cubs and have taken six straight in the series overall.
- MILWAUKEE: 15
Aug 27 11:59 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jeff Bianchi singled to right scored Norichika Aoki. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 15, Cubs 4 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 27 11:52 PM
- Ryan Braun singled to left scored Jean Segura. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 14, Cubs 4 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 27 11:52 PM
- Jean Segura infield single to short scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Starlins Castro's throwing error scored Carlos Gomez. Segura advances to second. Runner on second with none out and Jim Henderson due up.
Brewers 13, Cubs 4 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 27 11:42 PM
- Corey Hart lead-off Home Run (24) to left center. Jonathan Lucroy due up. NOTE: The Home Runs were hit back-to-back-to-back.
Brewers 11, Cubs 4 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 27 11:28 PM
- Aramis Ramirez lead off Home Run 2 (20) to left. Corey Hart due up. NOTE: The Home Runs were hit back-to-back.
Brewers 10, Cubs 4 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 27 11:25 PM
- Ryan Braun none-out, three-run Home Run (35) to left center scored Norichika Aoki and Rickie Weeks. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 9, Cubs 4 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 27 11:23 PM
- Carlos Gomez one-out, solo Home Run (14) to left center. Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 6, Cubs 4 Top 8, 1 OutAug 27 11:00 PM
- Brett Jackson lead-off Home Run (4) to right center. Darwin Barney due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 27 10:22 PM
- Norichika Aoki singled to right scored Carlos Gomez. Runner on first with two outs and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 27 10:14 PM
- Corey Hart flied out to center. None on with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 27 9:46 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to left scored Rickie Weeks. Runner on third with one out as Braun advances to third on the throw home and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 27 9:43 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to right scored Alfonso Soriano. Runner on first with two outs and Steve Clevenger due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 27 9:08 PM
- Alfonso Soriano doubled to left center scored Anthony Rizzo. Runner on second with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 27 9:08 PM
- Anthony Rizzo singled to short left scored David DeJesus. Runner on first with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 27 9:03 PM
- Corey Hart flied out to center to end the inning.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Mid 1Aug 27 8:14 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 8:07 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21