Brewers edge CubsAug 30, 2012 - 5:15 AM
Jean Segura singled in the go-ahead run in the seventh and scored on a pair of errors to help Milwaukee upend Chicago for the eighth straight time, including the first three in this four-game set.
Mike Fiers (8-6) threw 7 1/3 solid innings to notch the victory, as he allowed just one run on four hits and one walk while fanning six.
"I was throwing everything for strikes and keeping everything down in the zone," Fiers said.
Jeff Samardzija (8-12) was the hard-luck loser, surrendering three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits. The right-hander struck out 10 and did not issue a walk over seven frames.
Each team scored on a groundout early on, as Aramis Ramirez scored Norichika Aoki in the away first and Darwin Barney plated Bryan LaHair in the second.
The Brewers broke the tie in a seventh inning that featured three errors and a wild pitch.
Nyjer Morgan started the theatrics by bunting his way on with one out. Samardzija fielded the ball and rushed his throw to first, resulting in an errant toss and Morgan winding up on second.
A wild pitch moved Morgan to third and Segura lined up base hit up the middle to put the visitors in front, 2-1.
After Samardzija struck out Fiers, Segura stole second and ran to third when Welington Castillo's throw got away. Barney recovered the ball and threw to third in time to get Segura, but Luis Valbuena took his eye off it and the ball rolled towards the dugout.
Segura raced home and scored without a play at the plate.
"We threw the ball away three times within about three minutes," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said.
Manny Parra relieved Fiers with one on in the eighth and promptly induced an inning-ending double-play ball off the bat of David DeJesus.
John Axford stranded a runner on third in the ninth to pick up his 22nd save of the season. LaHair groundout out weakly to end the game.
The Cubs struck out seven times, ending a string of eight straight 10-plus strikeout games by Brewers pitchers. It was the longest such streak in the majors since 1900 ... Barney was first credited with an error in the seventh before it was changed to Valbuena's. The reversal gave Barney a single-season NL record of 114 straight errorless games at second base ... The Brewers have won 20 of the last 25 meetings against the Cubs ... In the season's series finale on Thursday, Milwaukee's Shaun Marcum goes up against Brooks Raley.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Aug 29 10:46 PM
- Brett Jackson struck out looking to end the inning.
Brewers 3, Cubs 1 End 7Aug 29 10:07 PM
- Jean Segura single to center scored Nyjer Morgan with one out. Runner on first with Michael Fiers due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 29 9:54 PM
- Darwin Barney grounded out short to first scoring Bryan LaHair with two outs. On the play, Welington Castillo advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jeff Samardzija due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 29 8:44 PM
- Aramis Ramirez grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scoring Norichika Aoki with two outs. Ryan Braun out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 29 8:17 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 8:08 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21