Cubs rally in 9th to edge BrewersAug 30, 2012 - 11:00 PM
The Cubs trailed 11-9 entering the final frame, but got a one-out double from David DeJesus before Francisco Rodriguez (2-7) walked Luis Valbuena.
Starlin Castro then slapped a single to center field to score DeJesus and bring the Cubs within a run. Anthony Rizzo followed with a double down the first-base line to knot the game at 11-11.
Soriano then scorched a single into center field to plate Castro for the game- winning run as the Cubs snapped an eight-game skid against the Brewers.
Carlos Marmol (2-2) earned the victory after tossing a perfect top of the ninth, while DeJesus, Castro and Rizzo tallied two RBI apiece for Chicago, which won for just the seventh time in 28 contests in August.
Jonathan Lucroy clubbed a grand slam and knocked in seven runs overall, Rickie Weeks had his first career five-hit game and scored four times, and Ryan Braun and Cody Ransom each homered in the setback, which snapped a four-game winning streak for the Brewers.
The Brewers led 9-2 heading into the bottom of the sixth before the Cubs stormed back to tie the game.
Brett Jackson started the rally with a double, moved to third on a fly out, and after pinch-hitter Josh Vitters walked, scored on DeJesus' double into the right-field corner.
Vitters then crossed home on a passed ball before Valbuena's infield single plated DeJesus to bring the home team within 9-6.
Milwaukee reliever Livan Hernandez then walked Castro to mark the end of his day, as Manny Parra entered from the bullpen. Parra induced a groundout from Rizzo, but walked back-to-back pinch-hitters to walk in a run.
Jackson then slapped his second Tobago of the frame into left field to score a pair and knot the game at 9-9.
Ransom belted a leadoff homer to start the seventh and give the Brewers a one- run lead before Lucroy plated another RBI with a single in the eighth to press the margin to 11-9, but Rodriguez was unable to maintain the lead in the ninth.
The Cubs grabbed an early lead with a pair in the first inning as Castro ripped an RBI triple before scoring on Rizzo's double off the ivy in straightaway center field.
They added another in the second when DeJesus singled home Jackson, but the Brewers responded with a five-run third to pull in front.
Weeks and Braun smacked back-to-back one-out singles and Corey Hart worked a walk before Lucroy waited on a hanging curveball and crushed it onto Wayland Avenue behind the left-field bleachers.
Carlos Gomez followed with a single, stole second and then scored on Ransom's base hit into left-center field for a two-run advantage.
Milwaukee extended its lead in the fourth on Braun's two-run blast to deep center field and held a six-run lead in the sixth after Lucroy's two-run single into shallow right field.
Milwaukee starter Shaun Marcum allowed three runs on five hits and four walks over four frames before leaving with right calf cramping ... Lucroy has knocked in 20 of his 49 RBI against the Cubs this season ... Castro became the eighth different Cub to reach 10 triples in a season ... Chicago starter Brooks Raley was tagged for seven runs on 10 hits over four frames.
- MILWAUKEE: 11
Aug 30 6:33 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to center scored Starlin Castro with one out to end the game.
Brewers 11, Cubs 12 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 30 6:33 PM
- Anthony Rizzo doubled to right scored Luis Valbuena. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Brewers 11, Cubs 11 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 30 6:32 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to center scored David DeJesus. On the play, Luis Valbuena advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Brewers 11, Cubs 10 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 30 6:30 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to center scored Rickie Weeks. On the play, Corey Hart advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jose Veras due up.
Brewers 11, Cubs 9 Top 8, 1 OutAug 30 5:53 PM
- Cody Ransom lead-off Home Run (10) to center. Jeff Bianchi due up.
Brewers 10, Cubs 9 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 30 5:22 PM
- Brett Jackson doubled to left scored Starlin Castro and Alfonso Soriano. On the play, Welington Castillo advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Brewers 9, Cubs 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 30 5:12 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Welington Castillo walk scored Luis Valbuena on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Brett Jackson due up.
Brewers 9, Cubs 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 30 5:10 PM
- Luis Valbuena infield single to second scored David DeJesus. Runner on first with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Brewers 9, Cubs 6 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 4:55 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy passed ball scored Josh Vitters. David DeJesus advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Luis Valbuena at the plate.
Brewers 9, Cubs 5 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 4:54 PM
- David DeJesus doubled to right scored Brett Jackson. On the play, Josh Vitters advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Luis Valbuena due up.
Brewers 9, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 30 4:50 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to right scored Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 9, Cubs 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 30 4:39 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, two-run Home Run (36) to center scored Rickie Weeks. Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 7, Cubs 3 Top 4, 1 OutAug 30 3:54 PM
- Cody Ransom singled to center scored Carlos Gomez. Runner on first with one out and Jeff Bianchi due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 3 Top 3, 1 OutAug 30 3:34 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy one-out, Grand Slam (9) to left scored Rickie Weeks, Ryan Braun and Corey Hart. Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 3 Top 3, 1 OutAug 30 3:29 PM
- David DeJesus singled to right scored Brett Jackson. On the play, Brooks Raley advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Luis Valbuena due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 30 3:13 PM
- Anthony Rizzo doubled to center scored Starlin Castro. Runner on second with one out and Bryan LaHair due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 30 2:51 PM
- Starlin Castro tripled to left scored David DeJesus. Runner on third with one out and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 30 2:47 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 2:23 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21