Lyles, Astros blank CubsSep 12, 2012 - 6:29 AM
Lyles (4-11) allowed two hits and walked two while striking out five to pick up just his third win since June 26.
Jason Maxwell drove in the lone run for the Astros, who have won three of five.
Wilton Lopez stranded two in the ninth to earn his fourth save of the season.
Justin Germano (2-7) was pegged with the loss despite allowing just one unearned run on three hits while striking out eight over five frames. David DeJesus and Starlin Castro each tallied hits for the Cubs, who had a season- high four-game winning streak snapped.
"Any time you lose by one run, it's tough, especially when it's an unearned run," Germano admitted.
Chicago's rookie first baseman Anthony Rizzo left the game in the third inning after a nasty collision at first base with Maxwell.
Rizzo ripped a grounder to second base, but a high throw caused first baseman Brett Wallace to jump as Rizzo was crossing the bag. It appeared that Rizzo hyperextended his left leg and was then struck in the left side of the head by Maxwell's foot.
The 23-year-old Rizzo stumbled and landed awkwardly on his right shoulder, and then remained motionless on the field for several minutes before he walked off the field with the help of two trainers. He sustained soft-tissue soreness and is considered day-to-day.
Houston manufactured a run in the third to take an early 1-0 lead. Jimmy Paredes singled then took third on a throwing error by Steve Clevenger. Maxwell then lifted a sacrifice fly to right field to score Paredes.
"I had bases loaded, I was just trying to get the job done," Maxwell said. "I was just looking for a ball I could get up in the air."
The Astros are 15-25 in one-run games ... Houston holds a 374-327 all-time advantage over the Cubs ... Darwin Barney has gone an NL single-season record 127-consecutive games without an error ... Chicago went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
- CHICAGO: 0
Sep 11 11:19 PM
- Justin Maxwell sacrifice fly out to right scored Jimmy Paredes with two out. Runners on first and second and Carlos Corporan due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 11 9:14 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 8:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21