Correia, Pirates blank CubsSep 18, 2012 - 6:48 AM
The game was delayed for three hours and thirty-seven minutes due to rain, but the Pirates earned a much needed victory to stay within 2 1/2 games of the idle St. Louis Cardinals for the NL's final wild-card spot.
Winning for the ninth time in his last 12 decisions, Correia (11-9) pitched valiantly, giving up just two hits while striking out six.
Joel Hanrahan tossed a scoreless ninth to notch his 36th save of the season.
Travis Wood (6-12) set a career high for strikeouts, fanning nine, but was tagged for three runs on four hits in 5 2/3 innings.
Pittsburgh scored all of its runs in the third inning. Clint Barmes was hit by a pitch to start the frame and advanced to third on a single by Brock Holt. Marte then tripled to drive in both runners and came home on a double by Jose Tabata.
Chicago came in winners of seven of its last nine, but only four Cubs reached base on Monday night.
The Cubs would only advance a runner past second base once in the game, when Brett Jackson worked a leadoff walk in the third inning and later moved to third on Wood's double-play grounder to short.
But David DeJesus hit a grounder to first to end the threat.
The Pirates improved to 67-0 when leading after eight innings ... Pittsburgh captured the season series with Chicago on Monday, taking eight out of the 15 games ... Cubs second baseman Darwin Barney extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a base hit in the bottom of the third inning.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Sep 18 2:28 AM
- Jose Tabata double to center scored Starling Marte with one out. Runner on second and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 3, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 18 12:23 AM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 17 11:42 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21